Can Microneedling Be Used To Stimulate Hair Growth?

Is microneedling a beneficial treatment for hair loss? Does it stimulate hair growth?

Microneedling May Help Promote Hair Growth In Androgenetic Alopecia

Although, large randomized, double-blind control trials have not been yet performed assessing the value of medical microneedling in promoting hair growth in androgenetic alopecia (male and female pattern baldness), anectodal experience, including my own personal experience, does attest to its value. 

To be effective needle lengths need to be in the range of 1.5-2.0mm in order to reach down to the growth-associated regions of the follicles--a length not typically available in commercial home-use or even aesthetician-use devices (which typically range from 0.15-0.5mm in length). 

Although I have been underwhelmed with the value of adding PRP in general, I have personally found the  concomitant  application of growth promoting agents, such as topical minoxidil, finasteride, and bimatoprost to have proven helpful.

Microneedling for hair loss

This is an excellent question.

There have been no randomized, controlled studies yet to look for benefit, but some of those of us who perform microneedling with PRP are seeing excellent responses in patterned hair loss (balding).

The jury is still out, but the a potential treatment of this difficult condition is very exciting!

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Microneedling to stimulate hair growth

As the other physicians who have responded indicated, there are no independent studies evaluating this.  However, my anecdotal experience is that it does improve male pattern baldness and others have a had a similar experience, at least in the short term.  No one knows how long the effect lasts or if maintenance is needed to keep the hair in a growth phase so keep that in mind if you are considering this approach for treatment of male pattern baldness.

Regards,
Dr. Denis Gonyon

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon