Does Chin Fat Get Worse With Age?

Why does it seem that the older one gets the more fat deposits under the chin even when there isn't a weight issue? Is age a factor? 

Neck lift for chin fat removal

A full set of photographs are required to determine what surgical procedure may be needed. Important to determine what the pertinent anatomy looks like to make a surgical decision. The determining factors include inelastic skin in the neck, fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in the neck, and whether or not there is any platysma muscle laxity. For many examples more information, please see the video and the link below

Does Chin Fat Get Worse With Age?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping and contouring procedures, including Chin Augmentations using chin implants combined with liposuction under the chin, for over 30 years. As we age fails tissues sag towards the center of the face and neck.  Tissues accumulate which are accentuated when the chin projection is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Double chin

The double chin can be a diet-resistant fat area.
It can enlarge with fat, but in some thin patients they still may have hereditary fat deposits.
Weight loss patients tend to lose fat in their necks and have excess skin.

Fat relocated

Age affects every nook and cranny of the body. Changes in our faces are most noticeable. When we’re young, fat in the face is evenly distributed, with some pockets here and there that plump up the forehead, temples, cheeks, and areas around the eyes and mouth. With age, that fat loses volume, clumps up, and shifts downward, so features that were formerly round may sink, and skin that was smooth and tight gets loose and sags. Meanwhile other parts of the face gain fat, particularly the lower half, so we tend to get baggy around the chin and jowly in the neck. Even if you have great genes and look much younger than you are, age-related changes in our facial appearance are unavoidable. Facelifts and laser treatments are procedures that can be considered. Not to forget the daily regimen of applying sun protection, using creams and lotions to make wrinkles less noticeable, and exfoliate creams to help slough off dead skin cells.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat under the skin

What may appear like fat may really be excess skin and loosening of the muscle giving the appearance of fullness.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon