Surgeon says 200cc teardrop unders for me will this be too small?

I am currently wearing 32a don't fill more like aa 5ft 4" and size 6 very petite woman. I desire a small c without the fake look My surgeon says I have no breast tissue and he says max is 200cc teardrop under muscle I am scared this will be to small for me I am due my BA next month any help to what size roughly I will go to? So I lose some volume being teardrop or under muscle? Thanks

200 cc augmentation

Ask your surgeon to show you photos of patients with your same build and breast size that have gotten 200 cc augmentation

Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

At your height of 5'4" and a bra size of a 32A, a 200 mL implant does sound a bit small to me, particularly considering you want to be a C cup.

One of the best ways to determine the proper size is to have your plastic surgeon place "sizers" and a bra with a T-shirt and view yourself in a full length mirror. Try sizes that are both too small and too large so that you know the limits of what appeals to you better. You can then choose something in between and you can narrow it down to what you like.

Since you are unsure of the implant size that you have chosen, you should schedule for another appointment with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Would 200cc be too small?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Is implant the right size.

The number one complaint patients have post breast augmentation is that they wish they had gone bigger. Typically for your size you will likely only get just around a cup size with 200. This may not give you the size your looking for.  It is always best to try on sizes so that you are able to convey to your surgeon what volume you think is the size you would like to be. Then both you and the surgeon discuss if that size will fit and give you the look your hoping for. Too many time we see patients that have gone to other plastic surgeons where the doctor did not listen to the patients desires and instead picked what the doctor thought would look good on them. Then the patients were left upset that they felt too small. I would suggest a second opinion.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

That's pretty small

First, I don't like the tear-drop implants. They are marketed to make you think that all round implants look fake and only a tear-drop can look natural and that is simply not true.  A small, round implant under the muscle is a great implant and very natural look. For a 32 inch chest, 125cc is about a "cup." So, 200cc may make you a B+? It's impossible to accurately tell you an implant size without an exam, but most 32inch chests in my practice would get a 255cc or 285cc moderate plus profile implant by Sientra.  Maybe consider another in person consult.  Good luck.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

200cc implants too small?

For a 5'4" size 6 woman with 32AA to 32A breasts, 200cc will not achieve your goals. Can't say this "for sure" without an examination or at least a photo, but after nearly 30 years and thousands of augmentations, I'm pretty confident you have every right to be concerned.

Please read my Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation by clicking on the web reference link below. Then obtain another couple of consultations with ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breast surgery, even if you have already decided this surgeon is your best choice. (Hint: I think not.)

You don't "lose" volume by going submuscular, but muscular compression gives the appearance of 10-15% less volume, so if you liked the look of 250cc sizers in a bra, I would use smooth round (Inspira) cohesive 280-290cc implants in a profile that matches just under your breast base diameter. Above the muscle is too high a risk for capsular contracture, not to mention ripples or edge visibility due to your natural lack of tissue coverage. Also, teardrop implants don't move as naturally as smooth round implants, which are teardrop-shaped when you are upright anyway. And teardrop implants stay teardrop-shaped when you are reclining, whereas round implants and naturally larger breasts flatten out and move slightly to the side--making teardrop-shaped implants LESS natural (more "fake"). Just saying.

You need additional information; click the link and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a breast implant and route of implantation

Breast volume enhancement with gel implants is a safe and effective way to balance your figure.  In most cases I recommend an over-the-muscle approach so as not create separation between native breast volume and the implant.  This avoids the late complication of "double bubble" deformity where the implant stays high and the breasts droop over time.  Also, under the muscle implants jump around when the muscle contracts when you are at the gym or whenever you use your chest (shaking hands, serving a food tray, etc.).

For best results the surgeon should be able to recommend an implant shape that matches your body: round, teardrop, short/wide, tall/narrow, high profile, low profile, etc.)

In my practice we have a cabinet full of sizers that patients wear under the bra under a tight tee shirt.  The patient picks the size, not the doctor.

Be sure to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can show you a a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post op pictures, including ones where different implant shapes were used.

See the youtube video listed below for a complete discussion.

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Two hundred cc implants do sound small and will likely not get you to a C cup.  However if your skin envelope is very tight and your lower pole is tight or constricted, it may be the best option to get a nice result, otherwise the implants will be pushed up and not look natural.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Breast Implants

The only way to determine what size implants are correct for you is with measurements of your breast diameter, chest width, height and weight. Of course your input is valuable as well to help us make a mutual decision about size

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS