Will 400cc of saline be enough to for a full c from an a cup? (photos)

I am a full a cup. I'm 5'7 and 134lbs. After having 2 children my breast are flat above the nipple with breast tissue under the nipped. I am getting saline implants in 4 days. I'd like a full c to a small d. Is 400cc enough to to achieve that?

Will 400cc of saline be enough to for a full c from an a cup?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. 

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C-D and a 36 C-D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size. 

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

400CC is plenty

Thanks for your question. In general it takes about 200CC to get to the next cup size. As you can appreciate from all of these responses, cup size is very subjective. Achieving a desired look using photos is more helpful. You appear to have a great shape and good symmetry and will do very well. Personally I would use silicone smooth round gel implants to get a softer feel and more natural look. They also have less tendency to ripple, no deflation and less incidence of capsular contracture. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

BA

400 cc high profile implants may even get you into the D cup range.  You already have ample breast tissue so you need to take this into consideration.  More like 325-350 for a C cup.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

400cc for breast implant

Your question is a common one in that most patients want to know how many cc's it takes to become a certain bra size.  There is no standardization of bra sizes across the different companies, so a D cup in a Victoria's Secret bra is different than a D cup in, for example, a Maidenform bra. That being said, the most common size implant size for women who are typically an A cup who want to be a full C cup is about 350-400cc. If you are already wearing a C cup bra, you might want implants that are not quite that large. If you are looking for projection, ask your surgeon about the different shapes of implants based on your chest measurements. You may want to ask to try on different sized implants so that you get an idea of the result you want. I hope that this helps with your decision!

Implant volume

Implant volume do not necessarily correlate to the cup sizes.  In my mind, a 400 cc implant in many cases will get you to that cup size range, but like I said, bras do not always match cups.

No surgeon can guarantee a cup size. However, I think that 400cc's will fit you well, and I think that you will be at least a C cup. Good luck!

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Good question.

Unfortunately, the question is far simpler than the answer, which can only be determined with a careful examination and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon. Volume (300 versus 400), is far less significant than implant width and projection. Saline versus silicone is also important, as is "round" versus "anatomical" or "form stable" or "shaped". 

While my goal is by no means to leave you confused, it is crucial that you select an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whose aesthetics align with your own, and with whom you feel comfortable. Don't be reluctant to seek a second or even third opinion to be sure and feel confident. Make sure that your surgeon sees photographs of your "favorites" or ideal. Expressing your desired cup size is notoriously inaccurate, and final breast size is the most common reason for patient disappointment after breast augmentation, either too big or not big enough.

The good news is that from your photo it appears that your breasts are pretty and fairly symmetrical, which is always a good starting point. 

Take your time, do your research. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

400 cc enough?

Thank you for your question. 400cc would be a good start to get you to a full c or small d. "Test Driving" various sized implants can give you an idea of how you will look post operatively. The sample implant is placed within a bra and can be tried on with different clothing styles to see how you would lok. This gives the surgeon an idea of what range of implant sizes would be most appropriate.

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your are and explain your goals of surgery. Good communication is paramount to get you the best results!

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  Best wishes!