My dentist gave me 2 options, a post, core and crown or an implant and crown on a lower molar.

Which one should I chose? 9 years ago I had a root canal and crown installed on a lower molar. Recently the natural tooth broke off with the crown and left the tooth flat. Since there is nothing left on top of the tooth my doctor wants me to have either a post, core and crown or an implant and crown installed. Cost is not much of an issue. I am afraid that the post and core may not last long and I will eventually have it replaced with an implant anyway. Should I go strait to an implant?

Natural tooth vs dental implant

an xray eould be very helpful 

If it is possible to save your tooth even if crew  lengthening would be needed, Try to hold in to your tooth 

Implants could be always done in the future. Implants could have issues too 

We coild probably give you a better advice if you post a recent xray of the tooth 

Good luck 

Toronto Periodontist

I would hang on to your tooth

What's left of your tooth is a "natural implant" that if prepared well, will last a very long time! In our practice we always recommend being conservative with treatment. A post, core and new crown will likely be the only treatment you need. However should something happen then you always have the implant option. It's not so much the cost as much as it is the principle. 

Ask your dentist about what kind of warranty they offer on their crowns, that may help ease your mind about future trouble if any!

In our practice we guarantee our crowns for 5 years so even if something was to happen, you'll still be covered! We would put everything you and your insurance company paid towards the implant. 

Hisham Kaloti, DDS
Mississauga Dentist

Post and Core vs. Implant

In my opinion, you're better off trying to save your tooth vs. putting in an implant now. It is true that probably at some point, the tooth will fracture or something else will happen that will necessitate the tooth's removal. Of course, at that time you can put in an implant. In most cases, nothing beats your own tooth and if you can get another 5-15 years out of it, you're ahead of the game. I hope this helps!

Post and core vs. Implant

Great question.  You are right about the fact that just a post, core and crown may not last, often we need to do a crown lengthening procedure to have the crown actually grab hold of the tooth, this requires cutting down some bone around the tooth and reduces the bone levels.  

Implants have their own issues, contrary to popular belief they do not last forever.  You have to be aware of problems with traditional implants such as component loosening, fractures and the biggest culprit, bone loss due to peri-implant disease.  Most titanium implants are two pieces connected by a 7mm, 5 thread screw, this little screw is the weakest part of the system and leads to some infrequent but sometimes serious problems.  We have been using Ceramic one-piece implants in our clinic and have had tremendous success with them.  These implants look better than most metal ones and have the advantage of being one-piece so the amount of peri-implant disease is reduced. 

Your best bet does sound like its going the implant route.  Ask your dentist about Ceramic implants as they are proving to be the ideal tooth replacement option.  If they say that these do not exist or that they break or something to that effect do your research and ask the right questions, these have been used in Europe, Japan for 15 years with great success.  

Good luck!