I have had an Arm Lift 4 weeks ago, I'm using a scar silicon gel, Strataderm, once a day. Would it be better to use twice a day?

I have had an armlift 4 weeks ago and am using a scar silicon gel... Strataderm once a day. Would it be better to use this twice a day? Or would silicon sheets with compression over the top be a better option

Silicone Scar Sheeting

Silicone scar sheeting has been shown to improve scarring following cosmetic surgery. It's important to maintain pressure with this sheeting continuously. For this reason, most surgeons recommend that it be used for 23 out of every 24 hours. If you have specific questions regarding its use, make sure you talk to your plastic surgeon.

Scar treatment

Silicone sheets tend to achieve noticeable improvement for my patients. Keep them on as advised and they can be reused. However you should ask your surgeon for their advice. 

What helps scars?

Bad scars are bad for various reasons.
Avoiding bad scars includes keeping them lightly taped x 6 weeks after surgery.
Silicone gel strips help thick, lumpy scars - as do steroid injections.

1. If your scar is wide, no scar treatment will help. Wait 6 months after surgery and have the scar revised.
  2. If your scar is lumpy - any silicone scar strip can be used. Typically it is worn continuously, changed after several days. 
  3. If you are using scar gel, it keeps the scar moist but does not otherwise improve most scars.
  4. Most scars improve on their own, according to a genetically determined schedule. Anything you put on a scar after surgery that appears to work - may actually have no effect because you are seeing your own healing improve the scar.
Ask your surgeon what you should do for your scar and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes.

Scar Treatment - Silicone sheeting works the best

JD,

I get this question all the time and its important to know what works and what is just hype.Arm lift scars are the most annoying scars to plastic surgeons and there really is no way around them but there are ways to improve them. Currently, the only proven method of reducing scar hypertrophy is silicone based products or hydrocortisone injections.

I would certainly have to examine you to give accurate advice but hypothetically speaking since you are only 4 weeks out I would stick to the silicone based products. To be honest, silicone sheeting will work better than any gel. If you can wear sleeves to conceal the sheeting I would wear it nonstop throughout the day and night. Take off only to shower. If you ever see a burn patient compression garment, they are lined with silicone sheeting to reduce scar formation. Its because it works!

The good thing is you can find the silicone sheets at CVS and they are reasonably priced. If you still want to use your gel, place that underneath the silicone sheeting.

I hope you found this helpful,
Dr. Barrett
Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Silicone Gel Sheet for Scarring

Silicone gel sheeting (SGS) is usually worn 23 hrs a day, only taken off during showers etc. Other plastic surgeons recommend to place SGS on at night and off during the day. The treatment duration is 3 months and can improve the over-all appearance of surgical scars.

I would advise massaging the scar as well twice or three times a day after that with Bio-Oil (Vit E) to help break up some of that scar tissue.

For scars that continue to remain pink/red, vascular lasers (like the V-beam laser) can be beneficial as well.

Good luck!