I had upper & lower eyelid surgery done 8 wks ago. I still have swelling under one eye and numbness around both. Is this normal?

I still have swelling under one eye and numbness around both which makes it difficult to apply eyeliner. Is this normal? Can my age be a factor, (75)?

Thank you for your question!  It is normal for some swelling to linger around for a while.  If you have any concerns I would consult with your doctor.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time

It is not unusual to have some swelling and numbness 8 weeks after a blepharoplasty surgery in any age.  Swelling is very often asymmetric as well.  Everything will resolve with time and proper care.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon.   

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling and numbness

It is normal to have swelling a couple months after blepharoplasty. The swelling will gradually decrease and become less frequent over the next month or two. Numbness can still be present but should get better also in the ensuing months.

8 weeks post-op blepharoplasty

At 8 weeks some people will still have some swelling in the lower eyelids, especially if they had a fair amount of bruising or edema post-op.  The numbness will slowly resolve - just need more time.  This is quite variable.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling 8 weeks post-op eyelid surgery may be normal.

Photos of your eyes would be helpful in order to give you a better opinion.  However, swelling 8 weeks after a blepharoplasty can be normal healing for you.  The swelling however should not also be excessively red or have any drainage associated with it.  The vast majority of healing occurs within 12 weeks of the eyelid surgery.  The numbness will improve with time and can also take months to resolve completely. See your surgeon for reassurance.  

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon