I'm 20 years old and I have stage 2 gynecomastia. Can it go away without surgery? (Photo)

i have had it for about 3-4 years now, i also cant tell where the excess estrogen is coming from,

Surgery is the only option

Hi. Thanks for the question and photos. Unfortunately surgery is the only option to get rid of this issue. The excess gland tissue has to be removed surgically but is a very simple day care procedure. 

Gynecomastia Concern at Age 20

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. 

The most common and popular #treatment for #gynecomastia patients is the removal of the excess breast tissue with surgery. The appropriate treatments are recommended by a plastic surgeon. They are determined on the severity of gynecomastia and the patient’s individual health issues.

I'm 20 years old and I have stage 2 gynecomastia. Can it go away without surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, persistent gynecomastia (of greater than 1 to 2 year duration) does not  resolve without surgical intervention. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynaecomastia or Pseudogynaecomastia??

Hi there and thanks for your question

It is difficult to know from the photos you have provided whether you have true or pseudogynaecomastia.  The former is due to increased female hormones or increased sensitivity to female hormones though in many cases the cause is unknown.  The latter is due to increased fat cells in the body (Which also influence hormone levels).

If you have pseudogynaecomastia, then weight loss may help.

I hope that is useful.

Kind regards

Dr Mark Hanikeri MBBS, FRACS
Perth Specialist Plastic Surgeon