Swelling or migration of juvederm? (Photos)

I got my lips done 2 weeks ago and I am concerned that I am still swollen. The injector injected in my Vermillion Border to bring out my top lip. I am worried because I've been taking arnica and icing and I feel like I shouldn't still be this swollen.

Overfilled Lips

Hi Lilly and thanks for your question. I agree with the other docs here that your swelling is probably resolved and it seems that you have a bit too much filler in the vermillion border. This is relatively easy to correct via injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase that dissolves any hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or Restylane. If the enzyme is injected in small amounts, it can reduce the filler instead of dissolving it completely. You will want to find an experienced injector who knows how to use hyaluronidase. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for doing your research. Board certification is no guarantee of quality. Go by recommendations and ask to see examples of their work to make sure that your aesthetic is similar to theirs. Hope that helps!

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.In my experience, swelling after lip augmentation tends to last 1-2 weeks, but I have rarely seen it last a little bit longer. At this point you are most likely seeing fullness from the filler itself. If you're truly unhappy with your result you could have the filler dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. I therefore recommend that you follow up with the physician who performed your procedure. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist. There are a number of us here in Santa Barbara.Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Swelling typically resolves within 10-14 days; you were most likely treated with too much filler. This can be easily reversed with hyaluronidase. I suggest visiting a board certified dermatologist for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip filler

At two weeks post injection, most of the swelling is long gone. Even if there is a little bit of swelling left behind, your upper lip is clearly overfilled, especially at your vermilion border. Make sure you find somebody experienced with the use of hyaluronidase to correct this issue. To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

2 weeks after lip injection

The swelling from the injection is gone. The results are what you see. If not happy, discuss with your doctor and get dissolved. The upper lip appears to be over filled. See link

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after juvederm to lip

Typically there is a 2 week settling period for lip fillers.  If you are concerned with your results you should schedule a follow up with your injector.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Swelling after Juvederm in the lips

Thank you for your question lilly1205.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a dermal filler that can be used to enhance the lips. A new filler called Volbella will be available in October 2016. Volbella is indicated for the lips and is designed to last longer than Juvederm. Swelling after an injection can last up to two weeks. For this reason I have my patients follow up two weeks after a treatment to assess the results and determine if other treatments are desired. The great thing about Juvederm is that it can be reversed with hyaluronidase. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Final Result After Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  After lip augmentation with filler, it will take 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  Now that you are 2 weeks postprocedure you should be seeing your final result.  I would advise you to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with Vitrase.  Hope this helps and best wishes!