What happens if I keep an ice pack on my lips for 40 straight minutes instead of 5 minutes on/5 minutes off? (Juvederm for lips)

I didn't give my lips a break when icing them after I got lip injections. Does this in any way affect my results? I was told that normally on the second day, they will be the most swollen, but I did not experience this. They look less swollen than they were yesterday actually. (I got Juvederm injected into my upper lip. I had a very thin upper lip prior to this.)

Ice left on numb lips can burn them

This is not a good idea. If you lips get too cold for too long, they can get "frostbite" and burn. I have had this happen on the face once. Swelling can be controlled with arnica, head elevation, and having a good injector. Sometimes steroids can be given as well. Blunt cannulas minimize swelling too.

Ice pack for lip swelling

One shouldn't keep an ice pack on the lips too long because it may lead to a frostbite burn.    Best of luck.

What happens if I keep an ice pack on my lips for 40 straight minutes instead of 5 minutes on/5 minutes off?

Thank you for your question.  The danger of leaving an ice pack on for that long is that it could cause frostbite injury and tissue loss to your lips.  Luckily you did not have any of this take place.  Talk to your injector about more conservative methods of reducing post procedure swelling to minimize risk. Hope this answered your question.

Icing after lip filler

The purpose of applying ice to the area after filler injections is to alleviate swelling.  Since your lips are not swollen, there is no need to ice, and it serves no purpose.  I do not recommend icing any area for 40 minutes straight!  Be well.

Estee Williams, MD

Ice and swelling after Juvederm

Thank you for your question sweetperfume123. Juvederm is a great treatment to enhance the lips. Swelling and bruising are possible after any injection. Applying cold compresses such as ice packs can reduce bruising and swelling. Everyone experiences a different level of swelling. Most people apply ice packs for a few minutes at a time because it can get too cold and we do not want to have a freezer burn on the skin. I have my patients follow up two weeks after a treatment once the swelling has subsided to take photographs and assess the results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician