I would like to reduce the puckering above my upper lip also fill the lines and enhance the upper and lower lip?

what would you recommend ? I was thinking Volbella and Botox ( botox first ? ) the lines are not really deep

Reducing the Appearance of Vertical Lip Lines with Laser and Filler

Thank you for sharing your question. The vertical fine lines that you are noticing around the mouth are very common but can be challenging to treat. A small amount of Botox properly placed can prevent the muscle movement that causes the vertical lines. A hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Belotero can be used to inject small amounts of filler into each line, which lasts about 6 months before needing to be repeated. For a long term solution, I have had excellent success using and erbium yag resurfacing laser to improve the appearance of lines around the mouth. While this option does have more downtime associated with it, the results are by far the most impressive and long lasting. I recommend consulting with a board-certified specialist who can further discuss these treatments with you and make specific suggestions based on an in-person evaluation. 

Upper lip wrinkles and lines

There are several non-surgical methods of treating upper lip lines. The simplest method involves small dose of botox that is usually repeated every 3-4 months in patients who find it effective. If there is more pronounced volume loss or botox is not working, consideration for injectable filler could also be made. A variety of hyaluronic fillers including juvederm, restylane, emervel and belotero could be considered. An alternate way includes fractional co2 resurfacing which has a longer downtime then either botox or filler but could produce more long-lasting results. Lastly RF devices and microneedling can also be utilized. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing lip puckering

Using a small amount of botox around the lips can help relax the muscle thus reducing puckering.

I usually start by restoring volume first before I use botox because one the volume to the lip area in restored there usually isn't a need for botox.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip puckering and fine lines around mouth

I would recommend a combination of treatments for the perioral lip lines associated with puckering. Botox and filler together work very well and complement one another. Only a small amount of Botox, usually 6 units, is needed around the lips. I would use Restylane Silk or Volbella (once it is available) for the fine lines on the upper lip. The filler can be used to enhance the lip line (vermillion border) and to give some volume to the lip itself. I would also use a procedure to induce some collagen formation which will improve the texture of the skin and help with softening of the lines. Options include fractionated resurfacing laser such as Fraxel, radiofrequency treatment such as Sublative, or microneedling such as SkinPen. Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced in aesthetic injectables. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Lines -- Co2/Erbium Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Belotero/Restylane Silk/Juvederm Volbella, Microneedling/PRP, Peels

Fillers such as restylane silk, belotero, or juvederm can work well to treat lines above and around the mouth, but the best first option is laser resurfacing or deep peels to induce collagen production. Radiofrequency devices such as Intensif, viva and microneedling/PRP help as well and are less invasive.  I suggest going to a well trained cosmetic dermatologist with expertise in lasers and fillers.  Best, Dr. Emer. 

Vertical lip lines (smoker's line, lipstick lines)

Great question. Vertical lip lines are common concern among my patients. They are difficult to treat but I find that combination treatment usually works best. A small amount of Botox 4 units or so combined with a filler such as Restylane Silk or Belotero work great for these. Combine this with nonablative skin resurfacing with Fraxel or microneedling to stimulate collagen production and you will have a very nice result. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your query. For puckering above your lips fillers would be more helpful than Botox as they instantly take away the fine lines. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Lip Lines

To best treat the lip lines a combination of Volbella, Botox, and PRP with microneedling or Fraxel will correct the problem.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is skilled with these techniques for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Lip puckering

If you have smoker's lines then filler, dermabrasion, even botox might help.  Best to be evaluated in person. Good luck.

Lip Enhancement with Juvederm Volbella

Dear Henart57:

I would recommend using Juvederm Volbella to augment and enhance your lips and upon 2-4 week re-assessment consider filling remaining fine upper lip lines with Juvederm Volbella.  Important to remember to protect your skin and with sunscreen, use maintenance topical retinols and cease smoking if applicable.  Hope this information helps and best wishes.