Large tender lump on brow after botox? (photos)

Had botox 24 hours ago and shortly afterwards a large, tender painful and swollen lump appeared above one brow. There is another another mosquito bite size lump higher up. No bruising, minimal redness, just swelling. Is this common or worrisome? How long until it goes away? Will it affect the results?

Tender Lump on Brow

Based on your photo it looks like you have a small hematoma. A hematoma is a small collection of blood under the skin. You should put some ice on the lump and call your injector for an evaluation.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lump after Botox injection

The lump probably represents a small hematoma (bruise) however I don't think anyone can say with certainty without first examining you in person. I recommend that you followup with your injector given you concern. 

Painful lump after Botox

Although it is hard to tell for sure without examining you, based on your description and photos it is most likely a small hematoma, which is a collection of blood under the skin that occurred when the needle hit a blood vessel. It will resolve on it's own, but if it doesn't improve or gets worse you should see the physician that performed the procedure for further evaluation. Good luck.

Renata Wix-Harris, MD
Livingston Physician

Large tender lump on brow after Botox

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your swelling issues.  Most likely the Botox injection performed in this area hit a vein that created a small blood pocket, termed a hematoma.  A hematoma will typically resolve with cold compresses, a small amount of pressure, and time.  See your injector for an evaluation to ensure no other issues are taking place and so that they can ensure your uncomplicated healing. Hope this helps.

Large lump after Botox

This is obviously not normal and needs to be looked at by your doctor. If it is not bruised, it can represent infection. Any saline injected with the Botox should be absorbed after 24 hours.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and lump

The lump right after botox may be a bruise. This often gets better within a few days after the procedure.

Painful bump after botox - possibly a small hematoma

Though I couldn't say with certainty unless I examined you, that painful lump you developed after getting botox might be a tiny hematoma.  Hematomas are small collections of blood that can develop after procedures.  Contact the physician that performed your procedure.  She may have you gently ice the area, or recommend an over-the-counter medication to decrease swelling.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Large tender lump on brow after botox?

Hello Chiq111,

Based on your description it sounds like you probably had a very small hematoma (collection of blood) in that area after Botox.  This is not common but can happen, and this would explain why it is swollen and tender i only one spot.  It is very rare for someone to have a reaction to Botox to cause this type of swelling, and a true reaction would have caused swelling in each place you received Botox.  This is why it is more likely the result of the needle trauma.  This should improve in a few days.  If you have any concerns, you should see your injector to be evaluated.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump from Botox Injection

A lump from Botox should only last a few days. I would ice the treated area. If you are concerned please return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green