What are the must-do post-op care for gummy implant breast augmentation?

I have Capsular contracture from a Silicone implant that I've received 3 years. I am getting a second surgery with Gummy implants this time per my Dr's suggestion. I am worried about the post-op care as I feel like if I had massaged a lot more and saw the early signs of getting capsular contracture I could have prevented it. My Dr. told me that I don't need to massage with the new Gummy implants. I would like to get a second opinion on this along with suggestions on post-op care that I should be aware of.

Massage after breast augmentation

With the anatomically shaped gummy bear implants, it may be counterproductive to try and massage these especially early on when we as plastic surgeons would like them to stay where we put them so that they don't rotate. A smooth device on top of the muscle, in my opinion still would benefit from massage. Ask your plastic surgeon what their protocol is based on what type of implant and what location. Good luck.

Implant Massage

You are incorrect. Implant massage has been clearly shown to neither prevent or treat capsular contracture, which is an abnormal foreign body response caused by chronic inflammation.  The primary cause of this is bacterial contamination of the implant.

If you have capsular contracture now and you are concerned about recurrence, you should have a total capsulectomy through an inframammary incision, which is the preferred access for shaped, highly cohesive implants.  Your new textured implants absolutely shouldn't be 'massaged'.  FDA approval studies that these implants have the lowest risk of capsular contracture.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Massage and "Gummy Bear" Implants

Many of the gummy bear style implants that are being placed today are textured. Thus, you do not want to massage textured implants as you want tissue in-growth to the implant shell. Also, there is no evidence linking massage to the prevention of breast capsular contracture. That being said, many physicians still recommend this on a daily basis.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Thank you for your question.  If you are getting the anatomical shaped tear drop implants, you don't want to massage those.  Those implants are textured to keep them from rotating in the pockets.  Rounds implants are OK to massage, even though it is not required if they are textured.

Rigo Mendoza, MD