Pockets of fluid after a tummy tuck.

I'm 33 days Post-op from a tummy tuck, I was showering earlier and noticed I might have a pocket of fluid. It feels soft! Is this serious can I cause me to have a seroma? I'm getting worried, please help?

Post op tummy tuck

if you are concerned that fluid might have built up after a tummy tuck, you should consult your plastic surgeon. This may just represent swelling after too much activity rather than a collection of fluid. However, if it is a collection of fluid it can be aspirated.

Pockets of fluid after a tummy tuck

It sounds like you may have a seroma. Contact your plastic surgeon. He or she should be able to easily drain it in the office. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.
Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Pockets of fluid after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. No need to panic, even if you do have a small seroma, or fluid under the skin, this often resolves on its own, but it is best to check with your own plastic surgeon. If it is a larger area, you may need to have the area drained, which is easily accomplished in your doctor's office and takes a very short period of time. At times these can be persistent, but they eventually do resolve.  Best of luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after Tummy Tuck

Fluid accumulation under the skin is commonly seen after tummy tuck.  I would recommend giving your doctor a call and have the fluid drained.  Since the lower portion of your tummy is likely a bit numb at this time, it is easy and comfortable to have the fluid drained in just a few minutes.  You will then need to see your doctor a few more times to check that the fluid did not reaccumulate.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Fluid after surgery

Thank you for your question.I would suggest contacting your surgeon to be evaluated in person.  There may be a fluid collection which is referred to as a seroma.  If the seroma is small your body may be able to absorb it on its own, but if it is large it will need drained. The only way to know for sure it is be seen in person. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Fluid After Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question! It's not uncommon to have that squishy sensation after a tummy tuck, and a small fluid collection called a seroma is most likely what's going on. It's caused by a disruption in your lymphatic system that takes a few weeks for your body to restore. Contact your plastic surgeon, they will look at you & probably place a needle into it to drain it right away in the office (it didn't hurt much at all, and will hopefully quickly relieve the issue). Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Seroma

Thank you for the question. A soft or "squishy" feeling area of the abdomen after a tummy tuck may indeed be a fluid collection or seroma. Contact your surgeon as soon as possible. The fluid collection will likely need to be drained with a needle or a small drain called a Seromacath may be placed until the fluid collection resolves.  This is fairly common, but not a serious problem that will affect your overall results. Call your surgeons office today and get seen.
Best wishes,Michael Morrissey, MD