Can IPL negatively affect the skin's elasticity in the long term?

Got IPL 2 years ago. 4 sessions to treat sun damage. 1st year: skin was visibly brighter/clearer. Over past 8 months I've noticed orange-peel texture + development of small lines all over my face, from crows feet down to jaw, also on nose, cheeks, etc. It's like my skin has rapidly aged. Is it possible for IPL to penetrate to the level of dermis responsible for keeping skin tight/firm? What's best way to treat orangepeel texture, decreased elasticity? Would chemical peels work?

IPL treatments

Thank you for your question smilebright. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. For my patients I recommend a series of 6 monthly treatments followed by one maintenance treatment every 3 months thereafter. If maintenance treatments are not performed further sun damage can occur and be noticeable. It is difficult to make an assessment but textural irregularities can be addressed with resurfacing treatments such as peels and fractional lasers.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Skin Elasticity & IPL

Hello!

Thank you for your question! IPL shouldn't have a negative effect on your skin elasticity. With that being the case, the changes in your skin might be due to the aging process. 

Ultimately, it is difficult to give the most accurate estimation of your condition over digital communications. Consult with a cosmetic professional near you for more information and advice. 

In good health,

Dr. Berger

Skin Elasticity & IPL

Hello!

In good health,

Dr. Berger

Increased Elasticity with Lasers, microneedling/prp, ultherapy, thermage

Ipl shouldn't negatively impact skin tightness or firmness. Lasers, microneedling/prp, ultherapy/thermage and skin care can improve skin elasticity, texture and wrinkles.  Deep peels and fillers can also give improvement. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer