I went to a new dr for Botox and want to know if I am being ripped off.

My previous doctor charges 250 for the entire area and uses as much as he needs. He also uses Dysport. I recently went to a different Dr. He charged me 266 and said he went light with it (he wanted to charge 366, but I didn't want to spend so much more) The movement in my forehead never fully went away and 4 days ago I called and went back for a "touch up". He added 12 more units and charged me another 144. I can still squint, making 11's. I feel like I have been extremely ripped off.

Botox and pricing

If you were very happy with the previous injector, you may want to return to them. Different places charge different amounts. Some practices that charge by the area count the fourhead as one area which typically does not require as much Botox and the frown region as another area but which typically requires more. So even though the per area charges the same, the overall average treatment cost may be very similar to a practice that charges by the unit.  The pricing that you're describing for your second injectors office seems very appropriate.

Ripped off

There are several issues here.
The Botox can take up to 10 to 14 days to activate. so you still need to be a little patient.
First of all, why did you change if you were happy? A typical treatment can be  $12-$15/unit. You should compare the  per unit charge  from both doctors before you go...and be sure you are satisfied before you go.. you want to be sure the doctors have lots of experience.Often times you are paying a bit more for  more experience. 
You also  may want to ask the office how long the save the Botox once it is mixed. I find it loses it's potency and longevity if you save it for more than 1 day. I know a lot of people think it stays active for long periods of time.I have been injecting Botox for almost 20 years. I have done some of my own comparisons. In my hands  the Botox does start losing it's potency after 24 hours.. In the drug information insert it says it is potent for 1 day.
I hope this information helps.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Ripped Off?

There are two issues here -- how much are you paying per unit and how skilled is the injector.
Why did you switch if you were happy with the results and price for your previous treatments?

Communication is always the key to solving problems.
Talk to the second practitioner if you want to stay there and ask questions.
Express your unhappiness and see how he or she answers you.

Your gut will often tell you if you're being "ripped off" but not until your mind has enough information so you can process the feelings with some logic and facts.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Every practice will price their injectables differently. Personally, I charge by the unit as every patient will require a different amount of Botox. Charging by the area undercharges some patients and over charges others which I don't think is fair. With regard to your new injector, you should be seeing significant reduction in the amount of movement between your brows. Four days is a bit early to judge but you should definitely re-assess by two weeks following your most recent treatment. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with charging by the unit but you should be seeing more improvement than you describe. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I paying too much for Botox?

Hi MML.  The only way to know whether or not you are being charged the same at both facilities is to ask for the number of units injected.  For Botox, prices between $8 - $20/unit are seen in Los Angeles, but averages are likely in the $11 - $14 range per unit.

Dysport is measured differently, but most injectors will charge $3.50 - $5 per unit of Dysport.  For every unit of Botox injected, mot injectors will use 2.5 - 3 units of Dysport.  

Try finding out how many units each practitioner injected and then see if you can compare between them.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox and dosing and price

it takes 10-14 days to see the final results of botox/dysport/xeomin.  You cannot know for sure if the toxin is working yet or not.  also, pricing is dependent on the persons experience and skill.  If you are upset speak to your physician, or consider a different doctor you can develop a longer term relationship with. Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for question.  Wondering why did you switch to a new injector when you were happy with the price and results. $12/unit is fair price for Botox.  Discuss your concerns with your injector.  Best Wishes.

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry that you feel taken advantage of by your second injector.  Physicians who inject Botox tend to charge in one of two ways, either by area treated or by unit administered.  Unfortunately with your change in injector, the billing method used was also changed, making an appples to apples comparison impossible.  Though it appears that your unit cost of Botox by the second doctor was reasonable, results are highly dependent on individual injector skill.  If you were unhappy with the second doctor's results, I would use your previous doctor if they are still available.  

Cost of Botox

It sounds like your physician is charging about $12 per unit of Botox, which is very fair. That being said, it's hard to say exactly where it was placed and what should be happening with you. If you're unhappy with your last experience, either return to your prior doctor or see Ashley Rubin in Carlsbad, a true expert, 

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox expense

If you were satisfied with your results of the first doctor's treatment for $250, then why did you change doctors? It makes no sense that your previous doctor "uses as much as he needs" and you had complete freezing of your glabella and forehead for $250. If you feel you are getting ripped off (which I dent believe) then go back to your previous doctor. Im sure you agreed to charges before your new doctor did the treatment. Alway seek experienced and skilled board-certified dermatologist, facial and general plastic surgeon for Botox and fillers.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon