Is there anything that can be done for my implant in the front of my mouth? (Photo)

I got an implant when I was younger because I had no tooth that grew in in that area. I am very unhappy with it. It's bothered me for years but there's not much I can do about it. I have horrible OCD and I'm not sure what to even do at this point. It looks like it is double the size of its sister tooth on the opposite side of my two buck teeth.

Doctor Answers 2

Front tooth implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately your gum tissue around your implant does not match the remaining level of your gum tissue around your natural teeth. This is a very tough problem. So, you may want to see a periodontist as a first choice. As I see it here are your options.

1. You can remake the crown on the implant and have the lab do a custom shade on your crown. They can attempt to place pink porcelain to mimic the level of your remaining gum tissue to lessen the lengthy look you currently have. It needs to be a great lab to pull this off. Don't expect to go economy on this one.

2. You can see a periodontist (gum specialist) and do a crown lengthening procedure around the other front teeth thus making your other teeth appear longer but not as long as your implant tooth. You will require veneers on the front teeth to cover the crown lengthening. At that time you can remake the implant tooth as in option #1. The advantage of this choice is that you will have less pink porcelain on your implant tooth. Sometimes the pink porcelain will not match your natural gum tissue so this option would minimize the amount of pink porcelain used.

Be very selective with the dentist that you choose. Your's is a very difficult case. Hope this helps.

Implant crown

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As the previous dentist mentioned , your case is challenging. There is also a third option. The implant can be removed , the socket can be bone grafted. This can be allowed to heal and in several months a new implant can be placed and then restored. I suggest having a consultation with a periodontist and a dentist that is very skilled in cosmetic dentistry to determine which option is the best in your case. 

Vicki Borowski, DDS
Dallas Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.