Do bonded teeth show up on your dental X-Rays?

I had a minor chipped tooth about 10 years ago and I can't remember what the dentist did to fix it. I called and they looked at my x rays and they said I didn't have a filling on the front tooth that was chipped. So does that mean it's just my natural tooth and there's no filling/bonding? Or would my dentist not know if my tooth was bonded just by looking at the X-Rays? I do use a different dentist since I had the tooth fixed.. But my new dentist has multiple X Rays of mine. Thanks in advance!

If the filling material used was older, it will typically appear darker on the X-ray

Thanks for your inquiry.  Modern bonding materials (composite resins) will typically show up on X-rays (they appear whitish/greyish).  If the filling material used was older, it will typically appear darker on the X-ray (dark grey or black).  Either way, if the bonding is very small or thin, it may be more difficult to identify on an X-ray.  The doctor's notes and written records from the office should indicate what exactly was done, so that may provide a better answer than the X-rays.  Also, if the dentist looks at the teeth carefully, they should be able to tell.  Sometimes it's difficult, especially with modern materials that are very life-like. However, drying the teeth thoroughly and providing good lighting will often help dentists identify natural tooth structure from bonding material.  

It depends on location and filling material.

Most modern resin composites used in bonding do show up on an x ray. However, previous generations of material did not. If it was placed long ago it is possible that the filling material used would not show up on an x ray. 

The old office should have notes on what procedures were done, rather than just looking on x rays. Your new dentist should also be able to tell whether it is bonded or natural just be looking at it. 

B. Curtis Neal, DDS
Lansing Dentist

Bonding material on xray.

its completely depends on filling material used. for eg. silver filling is clearly visible on xrays but some kind of composites r not at all.

Nirav Patel, MDS, PhD
India Dentist

Does bonding show up on X-ray

Hi:

Normally bonding shows up on X-rays.  Depending on the bonding material and the size of the bonding there are times it would be more difficult to detect the bonding on X-rays.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist