Restylane Lyft for lips?

So I went in for my lip augmentation about 4 days ago. The nurse used restylane lyft for the procedure. They were pretty swollen the day after which has gone away not but I feel a bunch of bumps on the inside of my mouth where the filler is at. I just read on the restylane website they are not sure of the safety or efficiency of the product when used in the lips. So I'm wondering did she use the wrong product? Is this really safe?

Off label injections of relaxers and fillers

"Off label" injections (using a product that is FDA approved for one indication for a different area instead) are common practice in medicine. For instance, Botox was used "off label" for treating crows' feet for about 20 years before they applied for and got the specific "on label" indication.

Similarly, both regular Restylane and Juvederm Ultra were used "off label" as the go-to products for lip augmentation since 2003 and 2006 respectively, and only applied for and got FDA approval to be used in lips in the last few years. Juvederm Ultra, in particular, only got FDA approval for lips in late 2015.

In general, we use softer fillers (such as Restylane Silk or regular Juvederm Ultra) in patients who wish more subtle changes, have fine lines to fill, or want more "natural" lips. We use stronger products (Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane Lyft) in patients who want much more pronounced changes or longer-lasting changes.

The only products I would say are not suitable at all for lips are the non-HA gel products: Bellafil or Radiesse. These particulate fillers are likely to cause problems.

For all lip injections, it is normal to feel lumps for a week or two after injection. These are easier to feel and may last longer with the stronger fillers. The plus side, however, is a more pronounced and longer-lasting change.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft onto the lips

Lyft is a more robust filler and is used mainly for cheek/midface and nasolabial fold augmentation.  It can be used in the lips, many HA fillers are used off label in other areas than approval -- ex voluma to tear troughs, jawline, temples; radiesse to jawline, temples, scars.  I suggest you trust your injector and if you are concerned ask her.  It can be reversed with an enzyme.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip augmentation

Generally small bumps can be massaged away by the patient or the provider. Lips tend to swell quickly, but the swelling also resolves quickly. While the Restylane lyft would not be my first choice for lip augmentation, it is not an unreasonable choice for off label use.

Restylane Lyft for lips?

Restylane Lift is not the most common product used for lips augmentation but some practitioners do use it "off label" for lips to give their patients longer lasting results.  The bums you are feeling can be either erased with Vitrase or if they are not visible and do not create asymmetry  in the lips you can leave them alone and they will disappear over time.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Restylane Lyft NYC

Restylane Lyft is a great filler for the cheek area but not really meant for the lips.  Since it is such a "thick" filler there are better filler for lip augmentation.  Please consult a expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane Lyft for lips?

Hello JohnPaul985,

Fillers can be used in other locations than what the packaging says (it is known as an off label use).  I am not a fan of using Lyft for the lips because it is a thicker product that is more easily felt.  As far as safety it would carry the same risks as any of the other hyaluronic acid fillers, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane lyft in lips

The product could be use in the lips as an off label use.    I find it lasting longer due to its longer chain of hyaluronic acid.   In the same note, you may feel lumpiness deep.     You just had the injection so I would allow the swelling to dissipate.   You should return to your injector to evaluate your lips and to discuss your concerns.

Kenneth Sumida, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft in the Lips

Restylane Lyft is FDA approved for midface injection.   Restylane Lyft has a larger particle size when compared with Restylane and provides more "lift" or volume.  Lyft is injected "off label" in the lips, usually in people who are seeking more volume, which may last a longer amount of time.  I suggest massaging the bumps aggressively, trying to thin out the product and diffuse through the tissue.  If this does not work, then you could have "bumps" injected with Hylenex to "break down" the Lyft.  This should resolve your issue. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Restylane Lyft in the Lips

Thank you for your question regarding the use of Lyft in the lips. It is officially considered "off label" to inject Restylane Lyft in the lips. This simply means it hasn't been studied and approved by the FDA for use in that area. Off label uses are commonly performed in medicine, but this information should be disclosed to the patient.

It is not uncommon to feel the product in the lips following injection. The usually subsides after 2 weeks and is nothing to worry about.

“This answer has been solicited without seeing the patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a board certified plastic surgeon for appropriate care.”

Restylane lyft in the lips

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry that you are experiencing lumps in the lips.  You will find that lumps start to soften with every few days/week that passes.  I would return your physician and let them examine you.  If the lumps persist, then you can have some of the lumps dissolved.  I have used Restylane Lyft in the lips previously, but prefer to use Restylane or Juvederm as they provide for a softer lip.