Do CO2 lasers damage facial fat when smoothing the surface of the skin?

I've read complaints that people have experienced facial fat loss after having CO2 treatments. Can that happen?

Facial fat damage unlikely from CO2 laser resurfacing

CO2 laser energy removes the outer layers of skin so that new, fresh, tighter skin can grow in to replace the wrinkled and discolored skin.  The laser energy cannot penetrate through all of the layers of the skin and affect the underlying fat.  It is very common in my practice for patients to have CO2 laser resurfacing to address the fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration, and also during the same procedure undergo fat transfer to replenish volume because the majority of women need both issues addressed.  If there is a perception that CO2 laser has diminished facial fat volume, it is likely that both procedures were needed and it is now more apparent that there is a lack of volume.

Co2 Laser For Facial Rejuvenation

No co2 laser cannot go to the depth of face to cause any significant change in facial fat when it's treating wrinkles, lines, pores, complexion.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CO2 laser resurfacing treatments and fat injury.

The effects of CO2 laser resurfacing treatment are limited to the upper and middle layers of skin in most cases.  While a number of potential complications can occur if the laser treatment is not administered properly, fat loss or injury is not a significant concern because the fat is found deeper the CO2 laser energy penetrates.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon