Make up and sun exposure after co2 laser skin resurfacing?

I got co2 laser resurfacing treatment today on my face for scars and wrinkles. Obviously I'm not in any sort of rush to go out anywhere since I'm going to be really red but just for a second opinion what would you say is a good time where I can start wearing makeup and have minor sun exposure? Next week I was planing on going somewhere that's outside but I would wear a hat and sunscreen that covers my face is that ok? What are your thought on this? Thanks so much.

CO2 laser aftercare

Thank you for your question, unfortunately there is not a simple answer to your question.  Largely because the setting of the laser and number of passes can vary widely, which directly affects recovery time.  I advise patients to treat post CO2 laser a surgical wound, and would not recommend applying makeup until the skin has re-epithelialized, which again is largely dependent on the particulars of your procedure.  Sun exposure should be avoided as much as possible for 2 months after surgery (this is to optimize both healing and pigmentation).  It sounds like you have some plans to protect against the sun.  I would be sure to check with your surgeon about acceptable makeup and sunscreen options.  Good luck.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends.  As always you should CLOSELY follow the instructions of your treating physician, but in general direct or strong indirect sun exposure should be avoided for AT LEAST 4-6 weeks after a laser treatment.  Some CO2 laser treatments will require a longer time period.  Even then certain precautions such as sunscreens, sunglasses, and hats should be used.
With respect to make-up much depends on the type and intensity of the CO2 laser treatment, and the type of make-up you are going to use.  Your treating physician will typically have recommendations but in general time lines can be 4-5 days for light treatments to 7-10 days (or longer) for more intense treatments.

Timothy R. Miller, MD