IPL Vs V Beam for Rosacea

I am 35 year old male & have slight rosacea on my nose , upper cheeks along & some occular rosacea. I've been on antibiotics for 4 months (tetralysal and doxycyclin). Both of which make skin more photosensitive. I've just finished the course & the 1 postule that I ever had is calmed down significantly (after 9 months).

I am considering - IPL/V-Beam treatment to minimize rosacea, Question: how long do I need to wait before I can get these treatments? Skin type: between III and IV (more 4)

Rosacea IPL or V-Beam

V-Beam is the gold standard for rosacea.  Whether the rosacea is mild or severe, V-beam is hands down the best treatment.  Improvement can be seen after a single treatment although some people need multiple treatments. Thick, ropey facial veins will likely require multiple treatments but flushing  may significantly improve after a single treatment.

The laser provider is important, nit just the laser. Find a physician owned and operated laser in a medical office with multiple lasers in a busy practice. Don't find an office that uses a laser only from time to time.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

V Beam over rosacea...but...

..... yes, I do agree that V beam is the GOLD STANDARD for rosacea. This laser has many advantages over other lasers including the 755, 532, 1064 and IPL, however, PDL or V beam is MY go to laser for rosacea. 

I use this for tracing vessels ( 3 by 10 elipise hand piece), for general redness, and for flushing and blushing. 

Here's  the catch.... 90% of patients respond to this ... the other 10% may respond better to the 755, IPL or even 1064 in a tracing mode.

Treatments are all individualised and customised. 

Hope that helps, regardsDr Davin Lim Consultant Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser Rosacea Rx

Rosacea is a chronic condition that needs ongoing treatment to maintain control and best appearance. The V Beam and many other Intense Pulse Light laser (IPL) devices are also beneficial and the recovery time is fast. a series of Rx are usually needed at first then followed by interval maintenance treatments as needed.

How long after tetracyclines before IPL treatments

Tetracyclines, including doxycycline, are mostly out of your system within 7-10 days after stopping the medication. 

The ocular rosacea cannot be treated with a laser, therefore you will most likely need a low dose doxycycline to maintain the eyes symptom-free, but that can be restarted after your facial rosacea treatments.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon