Should drain site be so uncomfortable?

I am 4 days post op from a mastiplexy/augmentation. Dr put drains in and due to the amount of fluid I have to wait till tomorrow to get drains removed. However, wherever the drain is is more painful than the my surgery site. Is this normal? Should the drain site be this incomfortable? I feel like I'm taking pain meds just for that!

Should drain site be so uncomfortable?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Drain site pain

Thanks for your inquiry,  drains and drain sites can hurt, but without an exam it is hard to know if that is what you are experiencing.   I am glad you are seeing your surgeon tomorrow, call them to discuss if you need or can be seen sooner.  Good Luck.

Should drain site be so uncomfortable?

Occasionally, the drain site can be more uncomfortable that the actual incision site.  Try to check the drain site and make certain that a suture isn't being pulled, also check that the drain isn't kinked or that the site is unusually red or swollen.    If it continues, let your surgeon know about it.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation - my drain site is painful

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and augmentation.
  • The drain site can be very painful if the drain is pulling on your skin.
  • Put slightly moist gauze under the drain tubing to lift it off your skin.
  • Tape it so it doesn't pull 
  • Be sure the bra isn't too tight - if loosening the bra gets rid of the pain, keep it loose.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS