Is a seroma common after a drainless Tummy tuck?

I have had two aspirations already. The first had about 160 cc of tinged fluid and the second 3 days later had 75cc. I am going in this morning for my third. Is this common? I have no bulge just fluid around belly button area that moves like a waterbed if I touch it. No pain.

Dranless tummy Tuck

Seromas after a Tummy Tuck even the use of drains do occur, and will need aspirations, especially in large patients with large volume liposuction. Since seromas occur with the use of drains, I see no benefit to the technique an Abdominoplasty without the use of drains, as the risk of seromas with the drainless technique is higher.
Norman Morrison MD   

Seroma post tummy tuck

Even with drainless tummy tucks, using fibrin glue, or suture techniques to close the dead space, seromas still do occur and are common in the peri umbilical region. Aspiration and compression are usually effective in resolving the seroma. 

F. True Lansden, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Drainless Tummy Tuck and Seroma

Most plastics surgeons that I know use drains in their tummy tuck operations because of the risk of seroma.  A large space is created during this operations that can accumulate fluid if drains are not used.  While the idea of drainless tummy tuck sounds great to patients because they don't have to deal with drains for a short time, the risk of seroma is just not worth it in my opinion.  That being said, it sounds like your surgeon is doing the right thing by performing repeated aspirations, and I hope this will resolve the issue in a short time.  Good luck!

For more information on tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), please visit the link below.  

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Drainless tummy tuck will have seromas that could be avoided with drains

Since there were no drains used there was nowhere for fluid to go.  Thus you have seroma. Seromas will occur when there was need for drains and drains were not used. Yes it could happen and does happen in drainless tummy tucks.

Vasdev Rai, MD

IsIs my Seroma common ?

The short answer is yes. As techniques on Abdominoplasty improve, sometimes the improvement is just not worth the risk. As long as you seek constant follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and drain this seroma it will eventually shut itself down. The worse issue you could have is stretching of the skin to disfigure your lovely result. All the best.

Neumon T. Goshorn, MD

Drainless Tummy Tuck

From what I've been reading in the literature about drain less tummy tuck's, they have at least a 20 to 30% chance of needing an aspiration for a seroma. With the drain, that number is probably closer to 5%. Seromas  can be dealt with by serial aspirations or the placement of a seroma catheter until the seroma stops draining. Sometimes, your body will absorb the extra fluid. If left too long, a seroma can be surrounded by scar tissue and then be difficult to get rid of. Follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Drains in my opinion- do not prevent hematoma or seroma. On the contrary- they could promote infection. Seroma- although uncommon- can be inconvenient when it does occur. Persistent drainage can be helpful but over time the body will resorb the fluid and the seroma will resolve.