How do I get rid of my sagging jowls? (Photo)

Hello there! I'm only 23 and have sagging jowls. It runs in my family! I guess I thought I would be in my 50's before I got them, but that's not the case. I'm not sure what to do about it! I don't think I want to resort to plastic surgery, being that I'm only 23. But I'm extremely self-conscience about them. I'm getting married in August and was wondering if there's anything that would help? What's my best bet for improvement with invasive surgeries? Please help!! Clarissa

Jowl Managrment

I agree with the many other surgeon responses to your question. A 23 year old with jowls is not common. Have you experienced massive weight loss? In order to give you the best answer, it would be helpful to have more photos or a chance to examine you. Jowls are caused by a multitude of factors: relative skin excess, inadequate fat support, inadequate bone support. 
My approach to your problem would be staged: improve the bone support with cheek and chin implants; thicken the skin and fill depressions with fat grafting; remove redundant skin with face lift. The sequence of procedures will depend on your time frame. With your wedding around the corner, I would recommend staying conservative for now. 
Good luck and be well. 

Jowl Managrment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Good luck and be well. 

Jowling at age 23

Your jawline is disrupted by deep trough right in front of the jowl - an area called the pre-jowl. If this is not appreciated and treated, any procedure will be disappointing to you and your surgeon.
Appropriate options include inectable fillers, prejowl implant. I would discourage you from starting with a facelift as these other treatments will be more successful and are less invasive.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowling at age 23

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

How do I get rid of my sagging jowls?

Jowl liposuction is sometimes appropriate in this situation for younger people with good skin elasticity.

How do I get rid of my sagging jowls?

Jowls a 23

I agree you are rather jowly for a 23 year old women.  I would need to see a true lateral view to give the best advice. 

These are things I have done before for patients like you (either alone or in combination):

Jowl liposuction and/or chin implant and/or extended brow lift that lift the cheek. 

Look at my genioplasty photos and I think you will like what you see. 

Jowls a 23

How do I get rid of my sagging jowls?

Try weight loss first, second non invasive RF therapy, third minimally invasive or "twiner" RF therapy like ThermiTight RF, fourth surgery... 

How do I get rid of my sagging jowls?

Best to Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Discuss Options

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.

During your #consultation,  your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Rare indication for upper facelift in a young patient.

The picture in a 23 y/o s most unexpected.  I think the proper solution would be an upper facelift.  You could have this done without general anesthesia.

Sagging jowls

Dear,

In my opinion an anatomic chin implant will solve 80% of the problem. I have to say in my experience that chin implant surgery is maybe the noblest, simplest, most rewarding and less noticeable procedure in face plastic surgery. You will get an immediate more balanced face and defined jawline. Also your neck improves.
I said 80% of the problem because you do have sagging. 

Surgery should always be the last option even in Aesthetic. In case that surgery is the only or best choice so try to get the less invasive treatment with maximal result. 

I think you will very happy with an anatomical chin implant. In case you don´t you can get a facelift late on but remember that facelift surgery  is a delicated procedure with possible complications or revisions even in the more experinced hands  than a simple chin implant. For me this is the most inteligent decision here for this young patient.

Good luck!

Andres Freschi, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Sagging jowls

Dear,

Good luck!

Andres Freschi, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Botox may help jowls in a 23-year-old person

Botox injected into the DAO (Depressor Anguli Oris) muscle may decrease the downward pole on your mouth and improve the jowling.  You are too young for a facelift.

Getting rid of sagging jowls at age 23

Dear Godislove, I sympathise with you having to consider a facelift when you are so young. However you are not alone. The time when a facelift is required depends on the laxity affecting facial shape and is not based on biological age. This varies from person to person and tends to follow your genetics unless there has been significant weight loss, which accelerates the  aging look as a result of laxity. Your problem is not to do with skin elasticity, you don't have wrinkles, which people think are the reason for a facelift. But you have laxity with sagging, the proper reason for having a facelift.
A proper facelift, is one that properly corrects the internal support layer without any direct pull on the skin. Avoidance of skin tension on the incision is essential for a good scar, that is one that is invisible; but this is critical for a younger person having a facelift (under 40) because younger skin has more elasticity that tends to stretch the incision so the scar widens to be visible.
One doctor correctly pointed out the prejowl hollow, that is the significant hollow of the jawine between the jaw proper and the chin. This is a structural predisposition to showing jowls. For you to have a good result requires correction of the bone with a bone like implant placed at the same time as your facelift. Then you would have a good and lasting result.
Some other suggestions offered, (fat injections, skin tightening) are simply too minimal to make a worthwhile difference as they do not address the anatomical situation.

Getting rid of sagging jowls at age 23