How Do I Get Rid of Hooded Eyelids? (photo)

I'm in my thirties and have noticed my eyelids are looking heavy these days making me look sleepy, tired, sad and they are just aging me. What is the best solution to my problem? I am in Utah.

How Do I Get Rid of Hooded Eyelids?

Aesthetically speaking the upper eyelids do appear full.  Asian upper eyelids are more full than other patients due to an additional fatty tissue layer under the eyelid skin.  In addition Asian Upper eylids  creases at 5 mm's from the lash margin versus 10 mm's.  This as well as the level of the eyebrows should be taken into consideration during your consultation for Asian Eyelid Surgery.  

it does appear that you have fullness of the upper eyelids, however there are three possible (best) treatment options that will require an in person evaluation of the eyebrow position in order to ascertain which is appropriate in your particular case. 

With you seated, the eyebrows must be placed in the proper aesthetic position, on each side, and the following evaluation performed.  Based on what is found, the best-option treatment would be as follows.
1.  The eyebrows are raised to their proper aesthetic position and the amount of upper eyelid fullness remains unchanged.  This means that your eyebrows are not low and therefore do not contribute to the upper eyelid fullness.  In this case, an Upper Eyelid Surgery is the suggested treatment to remove the excess skin and fat of the upper eyelids.
2. The eyebrows raised into the proper position and all the upper eyelid fullness is gone.  In this scenario, all the upper eyelid fullness is due to low eyebrows and the suggested treatment is a Brow Lift to raise them into the proper aesthetic position.  In this case, an Upper Eyelid Surgery is contraindicated as removing any upper eyelid skin would cause the eyebrows to drop further.
3. The eyebrows are raised into the proper aesthetic position and some, but not all, of the upper eyelid fullness disappears.  In this mixed scenario, you would several options.  First, the amount of excess upper eyelid skin remaining, when the brows are raised in the evaluation, could be removed with an Upper Eyelid Surgery...not more or you'd risk dropping the eyebrows.  You could elect to raise the eyebrows with a Brow Lift alone that would place the eyebrows into the proper aesthetic position but would leave some excess fullness in the upper eyelids.  Lastly, you could decide to treat both issues with a Brow Lift to raise the eyebrows and an Upper Eyelid Surgery to remove the remaining amount of upper eyelid fullness.
In women, upper eyelid fullness must always be evaluated in person, in this manner in order to determine the correct treatment.  Hope this helps.

Treating hooded eyelids

Hooded eyelids are best treated by the blepharoplasty procedure which removes excess skin on the upper lids along with a small amount of fat.  The fat can create more of a puffiness on the upper lids while the hoodedness is created by excess skin.  The incision is placed directly in the upper lid skin crease and will be virtually indistinguishable when healed.  This is usually done under a brief general anesthetic as an outpatient procedure.

Eyelid hooding..

Based on the photos you’ve submitted it appears that you have relative hooding of the upper eyelids that makes the eyes appear look tired as well as essentially hiding the true shape of your eyes. Based on your photos, using your photos as the only reference point, I would suggest considering an upper eyelid blepharoplasty. It is important with your ethnic background to choose a surgeon who is highly experience in performing Asian upper eyelid surgery.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Blepharoplasty for Hooded Eyelids

Despite your relatively young age, you would be a typical good candidate for an upper blepharoplasty. See a board certified Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic or Oculoplastic Surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Hooded eyelids solutions

A couple of things can give the hooded appearance to your eyelids.  One is the stretching of the upper eyelid skin that happens with aging, for which upper blepharoplasty is helpful.  The other is descent/fall of the eyebrows (especially the lateral outer half), for which requires eyebrow/forehead lifting.  Another eyelid aging problem that contributes to eyelid "hooding" or tired appearance is ptosis, which results in upper eyelid falling from gradual weaking of the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelids.

Consult an oculoplastic surgeon for proper assessment of each of these problems.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Do I Get Rid of Hooded Eyelids?

Hello, to eliminate the hooding it is necessary to have blepharoplasy surgery. I advise you to consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon that specializes in asian eyelid surgery. At your consultation ask to see before and after photos. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Upper lid blepharoplasty would give you improvement

I think an upper lid blepharoplasty would give you the improvement you desire. Find a board certified plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with. 

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

How Do I Get Rid of Hooded Eyelids?

Based upon the posted photos an upper lid blepharoplasty is the operation of choice. Under local anesthesia as the easy option. Seek in person consultations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Hooded eyelids

Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a beautiful procedure that yields excellent results and should be custom tailored in every aspect to your individual goals, needs, and anatomy. 

From your perspective as a patient, this surgery is very stealth with relatively simple recovery. From the standpoint of your surgeon this is a very intricate, detailed and fun surgery to perform where assessment and planning are everything!

Blepharoplasty has come a long way and become much more modern in recent years, focusing more on long-term results than just on taking away as much skin and fat as possible. This modern approach yields a much more natural look with much more satisfying long-term results. 

Blepharoplasty will address sagging skin, displaced, bulging fat and excess muscle. Occasionally areas around the eyes, like the eyebrows and sometimes even cheeks, need to be addressed to give a harmonious and comprehensive result.

There are non-surgical alternatives to blepharoplasty, including laser resurfacing, Botox, fillers, brow lifting and others, but which of those are applicable to you will be dependent, and a discussion with your surgeon can help delineate those options.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut #realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelids in Utah!

Heavy eyelids are caused by one of two issues.

# 1 Excess or protruded skin, fat and muscle of the upper eyelid

# 2 Decent of the brow leading to a heavy feeling of the upper lids

Each of these has a different treatment option.

For excess skin and/or muscle we can do an upper eyelid blepharoplasty with removal of the excess. If it is the fat protruding we can remove or reposition this fat. 

If the brow is the culprit we will can raise the brow either surgically with a forehead lift or nonsurgically with fillers, botox and/or fat transfer. These are all good options. You are young, often young people do very well with fat transfer.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Dr.C

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon