Topamax during surgery?

I'm on 100 mg topamax daily for migraines, is this something I should inform my surgeon about now since topamax is a medication you can't just suddenly stop. Or is there no harm in continuing topamax while undergoing surgery? Will I be able to take it along with my pain prescription?

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  It is very important that you inform your surgeon of any and all medications that you are taking prior to surgery.  Your surgeon will then advise you as to how you should take your medication prior to surgery and what to do post surgery.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

It is important to inform your surgeon of all medications you are currently taking.  This includes prescriptions, over the counter medications, supplements and any recreational drugs.  This is for your safety during and after surgery.  He/She will advise you how to proceed based on your surgical plan.  

Camille Cash, MD

Cosmetic surgery - do I stop the Topamax?

Thank you for asking about your cosmetic surgery and Topamax.
  • Good for you for planning in advance.
  • You should let your surgeon know all the medicines you are taking.
  • You should not stop the Topamax except under the guidance of the prescribing doctor.
  • Your surgeon should talk to the prescribing doctor to be sure the pain medicines you get after surgery are the right dose, given your Topamax.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Topamax during surgery

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming procedure.  It is always important to discuss all medications that you are currently taking with your surgeon and anesthesiologist to ensure your safety before, during, and after surgery.  This includes herbals, supplements, and over-the-counter medications.  It is typically safe to continue topamax and to use it with pain medication, but clear it with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Is Topamax safe to take with my surgery?

Thank you for your question. It very important that patients notify their surgeon of any medications or over the counter meds or supplements that they are taking prior to surgery. This should be brought up at the initial consultation to allow enough time to stop taking the product prior to the scheduled surgery.

Topamax During Surgery?

It is extremely important to let your surgeon know all medications and supplements that you take so that he/she can determine what needs to be discontinued. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Topamax during surgery?

You should tell you surgeon about everything in your medical history. Most patients don't realize that we want to know about everything...vitamins, over the counter supplements, prescribed medications, alcohol, recreational drug use etc. 

Topamax During a Mommy Makeover

If a patient of mine needed to continue use of #Topamax to control #migraines, during a Mommy Makeover or any other procedure, I would be fine with it. However, your board-certified surgeon may feel differently depending on your procedure plan and medical #history. Therefore, its best to ask your surgeon this and about any additional medications you wish to include the day of your procedure.

Yes, I recommend discussing this medication with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should have an up to date medical history including all medications and supplements you are currently taking, even if you only take them as needed.  Sometimes your surgeon will discuss your medication usage with the physician who prescribed it, so make sure the office has a list of your doctors as well.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon