Botox (allergan brand) for the reduction of arm muscles to make my arms look more feminine. Will this help? (photo)

I have had muscular arms all my adult life and teenage years and I do not work out, therefore doing nothing will not help. They are quite muscular at the top of my shoulder especially more when I lift my arms up, even slightly, you can see the curve in them. Will botox help to reduce the muscularity? If not, what will help to reduce it and look more feminine?

Feminine arms

Thank you for sending photos of your arms. Botox, to reduce the size of the deltoid muscles that round out the shoulders, will also lead to weakness of the muscles. The deltoid muscles are responsible for raising your arms by your side. You will probably need a significant dose of Botox to shrink the bulk of the muscles and it will need to be repeated every few months.  Compromising function is not a wise trade-off, in my opinion.Your arms appear strong and well-proportioned, both of these features are not inconsistent with looking feminine. Bony shoulders and skinny upper arms appear weak and unhealthy, and not esthetic. The rounder shape that you have is definitely more attractive. 
My personal opinion is to enjoy the shape and strength associated with youthful arms rather than try to change your naturally proportionate arms into weak-looking skinny arms.

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for reduction in arm muscles

Botox has been used in the calves to slim them.  However I do not know of anyone using botox to reduce arm muscles.  I would not recommend it.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I have done Botox for the calf muscles. it works pretty good. but I have never done it for arm muscles. since the amount you will need is quite high and you run the risk of Botox toxicity, its best that you try with small amount or perhaps only side and see if you notice a difference. good luck!

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Botox for the arms

Thank you for your question samp100a. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox is also used for other purposes such as relaxing certain muscles no the body. Botox is not indicated for treatment of muscles in the arm. Theoretically, placing Botox in the muscles of the upper arms may reduce the size, but the amount required will be very high given the size of these muscle and the risks for adverse effects will also be significantly higher. I would not recommend such a treatment for my patients. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician