Botox For bells palsy? (Photo)

I was diagnosed with Bells palsy almost 3 months ago I still have not Fully recovered and I have Tired It all I have a PPO insurance Will Botox help me smile again that's all I want / #Help Please I'm only 29

Botox for Bells palsy

I would recommend trying some Botox on the unaffected side; I recently treated a patient with weakness of the 7th nerve from birth who had a similar facial expression. I injected Botox on the "normal" side in increments and this provided a more symmetrical appearance without affecting speech or the ability to eat. Hopefully, your Bell's Palsy will resolve quickly and spontaneously.

Botox for Bell's Palsy

Botox can be used to treat the unaffected side for more symmetry.  It will not help the affected side. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox For bells palsy?

Unfortunately Botox does not hasten the recovery of Bell's Palsy. It is used to slightly relax the active, unaffected muscles so there is better balance in the appearance of the face. Please continue the nerve stimulation and facial exercises you have been prescribed they will help function return faster and stronger.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for treating Bell's palsy

Botox relaxes muscles.  It is a mainstay treatment to relax the relatively hyperactive side in patients with Bell's palsy.  Often Bell's palsy, particularly early win the course, is a condition in evolution; it is changing.This treatment requires patience and a solid knowledge of the anatomy of the facial nerves.  Preferably surgeons performing this should be also skilled in microsurgical transplantation of nerves, surgical treatment of facial paralysis, along with a knowledge of the risks, expected outcomes and benefits.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Bell's Palsy and Botox

Bell's Palsy is a condition affecting the facial nerve resulting in facial paralysis. It's frustrating because you cannot predict how long it will last. Botox is a medication injected into muscles to weaken them temporarily. Unfortunately, Botox cannot bring back paralyzed muscles. However, it can weaken the active muscles on the other side of the face to help improve the balance of the face. I recommend being conservative with treatments that alter your appearance as your facial muscles come back.  

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox For bells palsy?

Bell's Palsy is an unfortunate condition that affects the facial nerve, most often on one side only..  The facial nerve controls movement of the face (e.g., smiling, eyebrow elevation, squinting, etc. ) and Bell"s Palsy may affect patients to varying degrees and the recovery can vary as well.  It is best to ask your treating physician (which at some point should include an ENT or neuro-otologist) to determine the long-term course of your recovery and when Botox may be a treatment option.Unfortunately, Botox will not help you smile.  Botox would, however, typically be used to help gain facial symmetry and balance, often by treating the unaffected side.I hope this helps.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Botox For bells palsy?

Hello Kybriones,Botox can be a great treatment for patients with facial paralysis such as Bell's palsy.  It is really given for two reasons.  One, is to decrease motion on the good side to better match the affected side, and two to help minimize something called synkinesis.  This can happen when patients try to activate one muscle and more than one muscle fires, such as smiling causing eye closure.  The last thing it can do is treat cramps from muscle spasms.  However, it will not give your your smile back.  Time will determine how much function returns for your face.  If it doesn't return, there are other surgical options that may be considered depending on what is causing the paralysis.I hope this helps and good luck.

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Bells Palsy.

Thank you for your question. I can see how this may effect you being so young. I myself have not treated anyone with Bells palsy, but this question peaked my curiosity, so I did some research and here are some of the articles I found to be a good read for you, and may give you some idea of treatments you may need to try before insurance will cover Botox for the face. Sometimes you have to exhaust all other options with insurance company's before they will pay for what they consider the last option.The  link I posted I found this place tries to work with insurances to try and get you covered, now I don't know if they are anywhere near you, however you can always call and ask them questions about the insurance seeings they seem to specialize in that area.
I hope this helped you, and hope you find someone that can answer the insurance question for you.

Consult a professional in your area.  Good luck and best wishes.