Dark Skin around eyes, upper lids and nose - Not Dark Circles?

I have very dark skin around the inner corners of my eyes that extends towards nose area and mid way under my eyes. The rims of my upperlids are also very dark. These are not exactly dark circles but discoloration. Experienced this for 10 years even when I have enough sleep. Could you suggest what can be done to improve the situation?

Dark Under-Eye Dilemma--Surgery, fillers, lasers, microneedling/prp

This is tough to answer without a picture. Most likely, the dark skin around the eyelids you have is genetic and can be treated with lower eyelid surgery or fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Dark skin around the eyelids is a challenging problem

By your description, you seem to have a pigment related issue in your skin, and this may be either genetic/ethnic or hormonal.  Sun exposure or chronic irritation, like allergies, can also play a role.  When this happens it is very difficult to treat because of its location on the face and the depth of the pigment.  Sometimes laser treatments can improve the appearance, but sometimes they can make it worse too, and this is why it is extremely important to be sure that if you go that route your doctor has the proper kind of laser and the appropriate experience to do this exact type of treatment.  There are some topical skin products that can help lighten hyperpigmented skin as well, and sometimes chemical peels can help, but again, the location on the eyelids makes this a challenge too.  My best suggestion is to find a board certified dermatologist who has experience in dealing with challenging pigmentation issues and schedule a consultation so that they can examine you in person and give you a better idea about what options you have.  Best of luck.

Dark circles

Hello and thanks for your question!

A picture is worth 1000 words here and without that it's very difficult to answer your question but here are some generalities. 

Many different causes can contribute to dark circles under the eyes, allergies, genetics, sun exposure, skin tone, sinus problems, age, etc. 

The cure or treatment changes somewhat depending on the etiology of the problem. Injectable fillers, lasers, skin care products and also surgery has been shown to decrease the discoloration in the area. 

Lastly, it's important to distinguish purple coloring from shadowing as they can present similarly as most of what we live in is overhead lighting. i.e. the sun, inside etc.- shadowing can make the undereyes look dark as well. 

Most importantly, find a plastic surgeon who you like and can trust to discuss your concerns with!

Thanks again and Good Luck!

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician