Will going up 100 cc make a huge difference? Is it worth the risk if I didn't have a lot of breast tissue to begin with?

I started off as an A cup and had a BA done about 7 months ago. I had 350 cc high profile silicone implants placed but they continue to get smaller and smaller. I am pretty active and I am currently a full B now and have always wanted to be a full C. My PS told me that since my tissue has stretched, there is room to go bigger now. He said 150 cc at the very most but was leaning toward 100 cc. I didn't have a lot of breast tissue to begin with and is has already gotten smaller.

Is 100cc increase enough for my breast augmentation?

As suggested by the previous physicians, it's really hard to give you solid advice on this without knowing your measurements and without photos.  That being said, I would disagree a bit with my colleagues in my recommendation. 

Despite the occasional claim that someone felt they went too big, the bulk of our patients all comment that, given the chance to do it over again, they would have gone larger.  With saline implants, a 100 cc increase does produce a noticeable difference.  But this is not the case with the silicone gel implants.  

As a Plastic Surgeon who does a fair amount of breast implant revision surgeries, most of my patients want to justify the cost of surgery with a result that is truly noticeable (not crazy big but definitely noticeable).  As such, I usually start with at least a 100 cc increase but usually go a little larger than that.  I would agree with throwing out a target cup size and instead identifying photos that show a proportionate look that you are trying to achieve.  No one is ever going to comment that they love your "C" cups but they will certainly compliment you on your overall look.  

I encourage you to post a few photos of your "before" look or at least provide measurements.  From there, we can probably give you a little better idea of what you would benefit from.

I hope that helps!

Virtually any size breast implant can be placed at the time of breast augmentation.

I disagree with the notion that patients need to have a sequence of implants if they want to be sizable he larger. If your breasts are soft and natural I would carefully consider whether or not another operation is worth the potential jeopardy to your original result.

Implant size change considerations

We usually advise patients that 100 cc's is the minimum needed for a noticeable difference, but this is dependent on many factors such as the amount of breast tissue, current implant size, and dimensions of the breast. A more important consideration for you is that since you perceive the breasts to be getting smaller, you are probably experiencing stretching and dropping of the implants. Going larger will mean heavier implants that can put more strain on the tissues potentially causing rippling, bottoming out, and similar problems. These should be specifically discussed with your plastic surgeon when considering going larger.

Richard Baxter, MD

Revision Breast Augmentation

1. There is no formula relating cc of implant volume to cup sizes. Period.  As an aside, you should let go of what cup size you think you want.  It's just a bad way to think about breast size.  More important is how you look in the mirror. 

2. More important than the number of cc you might want to increase is the percentage of change from your current volume. Generally, very small increase is 20%, small 30%, medium 40% to 50%, and large 50% to 100%.  So, a 100cc increase is a 28% enlargement.  150cc is 43%. 

3. You may not be a great candidate for this size implant, and switching out to an implant of this size may end up backfiring on you with complications.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

100cc difference

Without an examination it's difficult to be definitive on any online recommendation but in general I like to start with a 100cc increase in someone trying to upsize. This is definitely noticeable and may be enough for what you are hoping for. Best of luck

Slight increase

Adding a hundred cc will help fill out the empty space. Increasing too much larger may lead to further stretching and the future need for a breast lift. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

100 cc implant size change

A good rule of thumb is every 200 cc's is about 1 cup size. So , 100 cc change should give you about 1/2 cup size increase. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Will going up 100 cc make a huge difference?

Yes, if you are starting at 350cc and a B cup, 100cc is enough to make an obvious difference, probably more than 1/2 bra cup increase. You are limited in implant volume not so much by your breast tissues as by your ribcage dimensions. Follow your surgeon's advice on this.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Will 100cc make a huge difference?

Thanks for your question.  Generally anywhere from 100-150cc will increase a women's cup size by roughly one cup.  Usually it is closer to 150cc's for a full cup larger but that all depends on your measurements and other factors.  If you are uncertain about your PS's recommendation then you should see a few Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for an in person consultation.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

The difference in implant size

I recommend discuss the details related to size and implant style (moderate profile vs. high profile) with your plastic surgeon. 100-150 cc increase in implant size can make a meaningful difference in some patients. Ultimately you will be the most important person deciding if the additional 100-150 cc made a huge difference. Some areas to think about; is there a specific area of your breast where you want to be bigger? For instance would you like to be bigger in the upper portion of your breast? Do you desire more breast projection? Choosing the best implant style can be as important as volume increase.

Jason S. Cooper, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon