Is it possible to have a panniculectomy and an arm lift done at the same time?

Panniculectomy combo

It is certainly possible to do both a panniculectomy and an arm lift, or brachioplasty, at the same surgery.  Generally speaking, the pannic is (hopefully) covered by insurance, and the arm part, or other parts, tend to be cosmetic since they are not covered by insurance, and that becomes the cosmetic part of the procedure.  

Houston Physician

Generally speaking the answer is yes

Depending on the area to be treated, the size of the area, the amount of tissue to be removed, the amount of separation between the two areas in order to preserve the blood supply to both and maximize the wound healing potential, your general health, the amount of time each procedure will take, and the experience of the surgeon with combination procedures, it is possible to have more than one operation at the same time.  The surgeon will need to discuss all of these issues with you and make a safe plan that will give you a well thought out, well executed operation with an excellent outcome.

Yes it is possible to do bilateral arm lifts and a panniculectomy at the same time.  Most of my patients will stage these procedures so that when they do the tummy portion they can use their arms to be able to ambulate and move and perform the daily living tasks (going to the bathroom!).  Staging these two large procedures is helpful.  Depends on the amount of tissue I am removing and how long the surgery will take.  But I would urge you to stage them into two surgeries.  Best to be safe. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Body and extremity surgery

Hi, Leilasmom.  Congratulations!  It sounds as if you have lost some weight!  The simple answer is that many, but not all patients, can have both procedures at the same time.  Your surgeon would have to make that judgment based on your overall health and well being, as well as the magnitude of the procedure.  Not all tummies and not all arms are the same, and some require more surgery and longer operative times.  Know that in addition to the factors that your surgeon must consider, there are a number of factors that you, as the patient, must consider, as well.  Recovering from two procedures is more difficult than one.  You likely would have more restrictions and need more assistance.  Consider discussing the matter with a Board Certified Surgeon.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon