What Can One Expect From Recovery for Breast Implant Revision Surgery?

If a person wants to get their breast implants redone, and go up about 100 cc's, what is the recovery like for this type of procedure? 

What Can I Expect Frm Recovery for Breast Implant Revision Surgery?Answr:

In most cases of straightforward implant exchange (same location, same incision,little to no capsule work) then the recovery should be really pretty easy. A little sore at the incision and very little implant pain. You should be surprised at how good you feel. It will be nowhere near like your first experience, and in fact, you may want to do it several times a year!!!....just kidding....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision Surgery and Recovery Time?

Yes, you are correct.  Revisionary breast surgery  that you describe is generally  associated with very minimal recovery time/discomfort, compared to first-time breast augmentation surgery.  This is because the submuscular pocket has already been dissected/stretched.

Breast implant revision recovery varies

Depends entirely on what needs to be done.  If all you need is to upsize with otherwise no problems, there is exceptionally little recovery.  If you have capsular contractures or need pocket repairs, the recovery goes up. Good luck.

Breast implant revision with larger implants

You are correct that you might have less pain with your surgery, since the muscles are stretched. You do not state if you have any issues with your current implants or just want to up size. Depending on your height and weight, 100cc larger implants will make you go up at least 1/2 cup size. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation and evaluation. Good luck.

Recovery time for breast implant revision

You are correct that implant revision surgery is typically much easier than the first augmentation recovery. Because the muscle and pocket are already lifted/created a simple implant removal and replacement takes about an hour even if you increase the size a bit. Most patients at my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice feel quite good even just a day or two later. If the capsule requires some modification then that can hurt a bit but again minimal in my experience. Good luck! Dr Kerr

Breast Implant Revision Surgery Recovery

Thanks for your question.For just a simple breast implant exchange, your recovery should take just a couple of days.That being said, if you need a more involved procedure like capsulectomy or capsulorraphy, then your recovery will be longer.It really just depends on the extent of your surgery.

Eugene Kim, MD

Minimal pain and recovery expected.

Occasionally women are dissatisfied with their breast size and elect to have larger breast implants. In the absence of severe capsule formation, this is often a relatively simple procedure.The procedure usually involves re-opening the incision, extracting the implant, replacing the implant with a larger one and closing the wound.
The procedure is associated with minimal pain and short recoveries. Since the muscle is undisturbed, there’s minimal pain following this procedure.Patients usually don’t require narcotics for longer than 24 hours and are able to return to work the following day as long as no heavy lifting is involved.
If you’re considering implant exchange, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

BBA

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Expected recovery after subpectoral implant revision

Depending on your chest wall circumference, increasing your implants 100 cc's will increase you anywhere from 1/2 or 1 cup size.  This is a very small improvement.  You do not describe any other reason for wanting to have your implants redone.  If you want a lift done at the same time, that will add to the recovery as well.  However, if all they are doing is going through the old incisions, adding 100 cc's to your current implants or replacing them with 100 cc larger ones will have minimal recovery time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision surgery- What to expect

A breast augmentation revision is typically associated with less pain and less recovery time than the initial augmentation surgery. The main reason for this is that the pocket where the implant is placed has already been established.  The majority of the pain from the initial breast augmentation procedure comes from elevating the pectoralis muscle off of the chest wall to accommodate an implant.  Although revision surgery is typically less painful, it is important to remember that not every patient experiences the “typical” results.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon