Recommendations for a Tip Correction/Rhinoplasty in NY? (photo)

I have a bifid nose tip and have been considering a tip correction. I would appreciate answers to a few questions: First, what sort of procedure is recommended for a correction like this? Second, What is the estimated healing time for this procedure and what can I expect during that period (i.e. will I need a cast, will my eyes bruise)? Finally, I live on Long Island and would prefer not to travel out of state for the procedure, Can you recommend a NY surgeon who specializes in tip corrections?

Doctor Answers 6

Bifid Tip Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi, several additional photos are needed to determine if correcting your bifid deformity is all that would be required. Opening your tip would be necessary to reshape tip cartilages and provide the most optimal result. This  type of surgery would result in temporary swelling, however, the tip of your nose should not be larger from swelling than what it is now. Cast is not required in tip rhinoplasty. Hope this helps,


Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to fill the cleft in the tip of your nose.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You're seeing this deep cleft since you appear to have very thin skin and firm cartilage. That combination increases the risk of experiencing post-rhinoplasty nasal irregularities. I have had good success filling nasal tip clefts with Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

If you have other concerns about your nose, you may ultimately require well-performed rhinoplasty surgery.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Bifid tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

That is a pretty spectacular bifid tip.  Also known as a "bum nose".  You will have very strong tip cartilages, and they will require weakening without compromising the support of your nose.  This will not be straightforward, and if your surgeon says "no problem", go elsewhere.

You would do best with an open tip approach rhinoplasty by an experienced surgeon.  I practice in Vancouver Canada but I present papers at international meetings, including New York.  Thomas Romo is a well-known facial plastic surgeon in your area.  His subspecialty is facial plastic surgery and particularly nasal surgery.

(I have no personal interests in where to suggest to send you, and I am not familiar with perhaps other qualified NYC surgeons)



Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bifid tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A tip plasty is the operation that you would probably need to refine the tip cartilages and improve the bifid tip.  Some patients have more defined cartialges than others. Good luck!

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Tip Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


You are looking for a resculpting of your lower lateral cartilages. The lower lateral cartilages can be reshaped several ways. I would start with dome division, cephalic strip and a shield graft. This will reshape and remove the bifidity of your tip. The cost for this can range between 4500 to 12000, depending where you go.



Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 285 reviews

Bifid tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need to see an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon. There are many in Manhattan, myself included. Get an in person opinion.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.