Vitamin E before surgery

I know vitamin E supplements are a no-no before surgery, but what about foods that are high in it? I have almond milk every morning and it's less vitamin e than is in a supplement but more than is in a multi vitamin. Should this be avoided? I'm having surgery in under two weeks for breast augmentation.

Vitamin E

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! The amount of Vitamin E in your almond milk should be fine to take before surgery.  Avoid large supplements of Vitamin E and discuss all medications and supplements that you take with your surgeon.  

Vitamin E before surgery

It is unlikely that the vitamin E in food should affect your surgery including Almond milk. Although we have viewed vitamins as an essential part of life, megadoses which have been touted by various vitamin manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies have not been proven to be medically beneficial and at sometimes harmful. This can include bleeding or disruption in healing. Extremely high doses of vitamin E healing in several studies and theoretically widen scars. The amount in milk should be fine.

Vitamin E before surgery?

Thank you for your question Gabrielle. Almond Milk naturally contains some Vitamin E. 1 cup gives you approximately 20% of your daily need. The recommended daily allowance is 22.4 IU for women. Generally if your intake of Vitamin E is less than 100 IU a day there should not be an impact on blood clotting. Supplements offer a much higher amount of Vitamin E and that is why patients are advised to stop taking them two weeks prior. This could be very dangerous, as it can slow down blood clotting and create surgical complications. Hope this helps!

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

Vitamin E and breasts augmentation surgery

Dear Gabriel,    Cosmetic surgery is purely  elective and you should thrive to reduce possible complications to a minimum. Any foods, supplements and medications that increase the possibility of bleeding or other negative interaction with surgery or anesthesia should be avoided. Vitamin E is one of them (blood thinner). Not all people respond to these elements in the same way, but it is not wise to discover your sensitivity to them during surgery. Even small amount of bleeding can cause capsule contracture. So, avoid Vitamin E in any form !   You are welcome to contact my office and obtain the diet sheet that I provide to all my surgical patients.                                Best of luck,                                                       Dr Widder

Vitamin E

I would avoid any Vitamin E products that will increase your normal intake.  Vitamin E can impact wound healing and cause bleeding if taken in large doses.

Vitamin E

Thank you for your question.It is important to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your doctor. The amount of Vitamin E in almond milk shouldn’t cause any problems in my opinion, just avoid taking it in supplement form due to their blood thinning effects.
Best of luck! Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Almond milk before surgery

Thank you for your question.Almond milk before surgery should not be a problem. Multivitamins are ok too, unless your surgeon specifically requested that you avoid those types of supplements. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Food before cosmetic surgery

Thank you for asking about your vitamin E supplements.
  • Foods with vitamin E are fine before surgery = provided the vitamin E is naturally occurring and not added.
  • In general, vitamin E supplements should not be taken long-term. There is no need for them and studies strongly suggest that they increase the risk of a range of serious diseases.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS