Can I go back to school a day after Breast augmentation?

I go to an aesthetician school and the week of my surgery all I'll be doing at school is studying law that's it. Will I be able to go back to school the next day? I won't be doing any strenuous activity or anything just sitting down and studying.

Its really unrealistic to expect to return to school the day after your procedure

because you may be taking narcotics and in some discomfort.  In addition, activities could increase your risk for complications such as bleeding.  Why would you want to attempt this?  Find a better time for you to recover adequately and without obligations of school.

Give your body time to heal

We recommend our patients take a week off from work. If it is a desk job or studying sometimes patients can return after 4-5 days, but it is really important to give your body time to heal.  Also, you will most likely be very sore and taking narcotic pain medication which will make it difficult to study. We instruct patients not to lift anything over 10 lbs for three weeks as well as not to raise your arms above your head. Patients sometimes do not realize how "normal" daily activities can be difficult to perform during the the recovery process. In my opinion, I would give yourself time to recover from the surgery; you do not want to prolong your recovery process by initially overdoing it and possibly causing an avoidable complication. 

John S. Lee, MD

When can you return to school or work after Breast Augmentation?

HI Wehn92,Thanks for your question. It certainly is reasonable depending on how your surgery is done. If done under local and IV sedation then I would say yes as it usually takes about 12 hrs to 24 hrs to get the IV meds out of your system. If general anesthesia is used without much local medication then pain will be greater and the general anesthesia can sometimes takes longer to wear off. The best person to answer this is your plastic surgeon. Good Luck and congrats!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #breastaugmentation #ReturnToWork Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug Recovery

Thank you for your question, I would discuss the recovery with your PS about what to expect as everyone has a different post operative care protocol. Personally, I believe you will be sore and swollen from surgery, making it hard to concentrate and study. It may be best to take the day off and rest or schedule the surgery for a Friday so you may have the weekend to recover. For my patients I often advise them that they may return to work after a few days if they feel up to it, as long as the job is non-active (i.e. sitting at a desk). However, you should only raise your arm to shoulder level for the first two weeks to make sure any wounds do not pull open, and you should also avoid lifting objects (or children) heavier than 5 lb during the first two weeks. You will need to avoid any vigorous activity, such as running or jumping, as that will make your breasts bounce and possibly open your wounds or dislodge the implants. Soreness and swelling can be expected for a few weeks. Exercise and normal activity can resume typically 6 to 8 weeks after your breast augmentation surgery.

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

How long to rest after breast augmentation

Every one heals and scars differently.  Right after surgery the tissues around the breasts will be swollen and leaky.  Meaning the pocket around the implant will collect serum and blood.  The more active you are the more the fluid will collect.  It is known that blood around the implant may stimulate some individuals to form scar i.e a breast capsule.  Every doctor is different.  I deal a lot with Asian women who are much more prone to scarring and forming a breast capsule compared with Caucasian women.  I ask my patients to rest, keep inactive for two weeks to reduce the likelihood of forming unwanted breast capsules.  I have heard the whole gambit of activity levels from various surgeons.  A lot of it does not make sense.  Some even start massaging after a day.  Moving your arms will stimulate bleeding and it takes time for your breasts to heal and seal itself so fluid does not accumulate around the implant.  So my recommendation is that you should at least rest a week preferably two if you don't want to increase the likelihood of forming hard breasts.  Remember its not the pain but the amount of blood which forms around the implant that affects the way the breasts heal. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Can I go back to school a day after Breast augmentation

from the activity level it is probably OK but if you are taking pain medicine, you might not remembr things very well afterwards

Julio Garcia, MD

Can I Go to School Day After Breast Augmentation?

Good question. Every patient reacts differently after surgery and tolerates pain differently as well. Normally the day after surgery patients don't feel like doing much and usually relax. If you absolutely need to go to school be sure to have someone drive you there and back. Your follow up with your physician should be within a day or two after surgery to assure proper healing. No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for the first 3 - 4 weeks. Be sure to be safe and listen to your body, if you need to rest, please do. Best of Luck,

Breast augmentation

I recommend that you at least take 24 hours off and stay home and relax even if there is no pain and you feel amazing because of your energy level due to the fact that you had surgery.

If your pain control is adequate and you are not doing anything physically active, it should be OK. However very few patients will be up to that. The pain the first 3 days can be pretty severe.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD