Is PRP a permanent treatment for hair loss?

Sir i am suffering from hair fall, almost 30% of my hair has been lost. I would like to know more about PPR therapy is that it is permanent hair treatment or temporary. How much session required for complete treatment and what is the duration of the session.

PRP and hair loss.

No, however PRP can reduce the advancement of hair loss, and in many cases thicken hair, ongoing treat is needed. 

As a guide, I recommend 2-3 treatment per year. I usually combine PRP with other treatments such as Finesteride- Duaesteride, Minoxidil and low level laser emission devices. 

Nothing can permanent treat hair loss, even follicular unit transplants can replace hair, but it can not stop the process of hair loss, much like ageing. 

All the best
Dr Davin Lim 

Brisbane Dermatologist

PRP and Hair Growth

PRP can definitely help improve hair growth and thickness.  Some patients need on-going treatments and others need only a few to have the hair growth "triggered". Please consult an expert to have the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

PRP.....??Permanent? ????ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, the answer to your question regarding permanency of PRP is related to the indication for which it is being used. PRP is predominantly used for androgenic type alopecia. This is a ongoing genetic condition. PRP can increase hair thickness, decrease hair loss and possibly get regrowth in hairs that are dormant. This process needs to be continued or the genetic predisposition will recur. In my opinion, six months is the longest duration one can expect the PRP to persist. PRP is also used for Alopecia areata. PRP in this case will induce some of the hairs to begin regrowth. Most cases of alopecia areata in a single location do not recur. In this case the PRP can be used to stimulate hair growth without being repeated. Find someone who has experience in using PRP and will show you photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP Treatment

This is actually a common question patients ask regarding PRP.While the true effects about the permanency of PRP is not yet known, the results can be long lasting.The way PRP works is by stimulating the existing hair follicles in the area of the hair loss and thereby increasing hair growth.You will just have to remember that the procedure will require maintenance.My general recommendation for patients a minimum of 3 one-hour treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart.Again, this is just a generalization but it gives you some idea what is involved in the process.I hope this is helpful.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

PRP Treatment for Hair Loss

Thanks for your question.PRP is not necessarily permanent or a complete cure for hair loss.PRP can potentially stimulate the existing hair follicles which can in turn increase hair growth.However, the full duration of the effect of PRP is not known.I would not consider it a permanent treatment, but it is long lasting.You will just have to keep in mind that continued treatments may be necessary to maintain any potential results.To answer other question with regard to the number of sessions, I generally recommend at least 3 treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart and the sessions usually last one hour.I hope this is helpful.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

PRP for hair loss

Thank you for your question.  PRP for hair loss is an excellent option for hair loss and one that can be easily added to your treatment plan.  It has been shown to help strengthen your current hairs as well as slow the progression of hair loss (hair becomes small and thin before it falls out).  A series of treatments is always recommended for the best results and maintenance treatments are also ideal to prolong the results.  I hope this helps and best wishes to you.

Natalie Attenello, MD

PRP duration short and longterm

Thank you for the questions. The duration of the benefits derived from PRP treatments depends on the nature of the cause of the hair loss. In treating andro-genetic hair loss in men and female pattern hair loss in women the benefit is probably temporary since these are genetic conditions which should revert back to the baseline after enough time has passed for the pathophysiologic processes operant in the patient to overcome the hair in the pattern. However, I have had female patients that have had a 2 procedure series, with no re-currence of thinning 3+ years later. Then of course I see patients that have substantial benefit which wanes over-time, they return for "touch up" prp procedures as needed. Have also used PRP to treat patients with alopecia areata which has resolved and not returned for a few years.

kBernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon