How Quickly Do You Lose Weight After the Lap Band Surgery?

My doctor and I have discussed weight loss surgery, specifically lap band surgery. I all for and excited about the possibility of the surgery, except, I'm getting married about 9 months from now. I just bought my wedding dress about a month ago and am worried that after the surgery I will lose so much weight that I will not be able to fit in to my dress. Buying a new dress or getting the current one dramatically altered is not a possibility. Please advise and thank you!

Ideal Weight Loss with Lap-Band Surgery

The ideal weight loss with Lap-Band surgery is one to two pounds per week with a goal of sustained loss of 60% to 80% of excess body weight. Studies have shown (J Gastro Surg, 2005) that the weight loss achieved with Lap-Band surgery is equivalent to gastric bypass at two to three years. However, gastric bypass patients have a tendency to begin to regain weight after three years. The weight loss with Lap-Band surgery is much more likely to be sustained.

The pattern of weight loss with Lap-Band surgery is gradual and steady. You may notice that your weight loss will sometimes plateau for a few weeks. This usually corresponds with an increase in hunger and a feeling that you can eat more than you should. These signs indicate that you may benefit from a fill or adjustment of the band. Once the band has been adjusted, you will likely notice that hunger subsides and weight loss resumes.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

Ideal Weight Loss with Lap-Band Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon