Who is Qualified to Operate the Coolsculpting Machine? Should It Be Only a Doctor?

Initial Evaluation by a Surgeon Is Best

Thank you for your question. In order to operate a CoolSculpting applicator in a treatment setting, you must first be certified by ZELTIQ, the manufacturer. Many practices, including mine, have a CoolSculpting Specialist on staff who has been trained by ZELTIQ and performs the actual treatment session. This meets the FDA requirements of operating a Class II medical device under a physician's supervision. I also firmly believe that every potential CoolSculpting patient should be examined by a board-certified plastic surgeon before treatment. He or she can affirm that the patient is a good candidate for the procedure and develop the treatment plan that will result in the best body contouring results.

Initial Evaluation by a Surgeon Is Best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Coolsculpting provider qualification

I was the first plastic surgeon in the Houston area to bring on Coolsculpting.  I would say with any device, there is a learning curve.  Both in terms of knowing what the limitations of the device is, and gaining experience if this is something that can be delegated within a physician practice.
I have found in my own practice that when I delegated completely, the results were more inconsistent.  Today I am involved in every consult and draw out the treatment plan for every patient prior to their treatment.  I still do many of the treatments myself depending on my schedule, but I do have a team that supports me. 
I would be weary of going to place where you don't see a physician or where the surgeon is not an expert in body contouring.

Coolsculpting provider qualification

CoolSculpting Treatments

CoolSculpting can only be performed in the office of physicians with physician supervision. The treatment can be performed by technicians with proper training. Highly trained and experienced technicians are important as the procedure is technique dependent. Nurse practitioners and PA's may, if needed write prescriptions for medications. On rare occasions, a patient will have discomfort that can be treated with a prescription of Neurontin. However, most patients fdo very well wearing the compression garment our office provides every person as part of our CoolSculpting Complete package. We have also noted that arnica montana, a homeopathic remedy that helps with bruising and swelling after surgical procedures can help people with comfort following a CoolSculpting Complete treatment. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Treatments

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Certification of CoolSculpting training

Doctors do not need to be the ones who apply the applicator and do the treatment. In our NYC practice, we, as many others, have taken extra effort to become certified by Zeltiq to perform CoolSculpting. The medical assistants are trained well and supervision is provided by the physician.  As the physician of the patient, I, or another physician, see the patient in consultation and determine if the patient is a candidate for the procedure and discuss the treatment and its consequences, along with its risks, and measure the patient for which applicator is fits best per area to be treated and mark the exact site upon which the applicator is to be placed. In this way, any of my assistants can apply the CoolSculpting applcator.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Certification of CoolSculpting training

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Who is Qualified to be a Coolsculpting Technician?

Great question! Coolsculpting is performed by a qualified technician who has completed an extensive training course with Zeltiq, the company that created Coolsculpting. This training is a 2 day, one-on-one training course with Coolsculpting Specialists. There is also additional in-office training with the Coolsculpting Representative. It is ideal to have your procedure with someone who has been doing the procedure for longer than 6 months. Typically it is not a doctor who performs the procedure, although it is required that a physician monitors the Coolsculpting technician. Having 4 years of experience with Coolsculpting at my practice, our Coolsculpting Team Leader has completed over 1500 cycles. It is important to have your procedure done with an experienced provider to ensure an optimal result!

Best of Luck,

Dr. Thomas E. Kaniff

Best of Luck,

Dr. Thomas E. Kaniff

Coolsculpting should be done at a certified Coolsculpting center

You do not have to be a physician but the clinic should be certified by Zeltiq and ideally they should be doing Coolsculpting for at least a year.  Our Laguna Niguel, Orange County office was the first private practice in the OC to perform Coolsculpting.  Since 2010 we have performed over 5000 treatment cycles, including dual sculpting (2 areas at once.)  This type of experience and also having the latest handpieces, like Cool Advantage, is what you should be looking for when vetting an office.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Certified CoolSculpting Providers

Kudos to you for asking who specifically performs a cosmetic procedure -- you are being a proactive patient. The company that makes CoolSculpting, Zeltiq, provides practices with extensive training as part of a certification process that ensures consistency. CoolSculpting University is a comprehensive, 2-day program that includes intensive, one-on-one training. CoolSculpting is typically offered by plastic surgery and dermatology practices, where trained, qualified members of the medical staff may perform the procedure. It is safe for physician assistants, nurses, aestheticians, and others to perform the procedure if they are certified, but it is wise to also be sure that a physician is on hand.

Certified CoolSculpting Providers

Coolscultpting and Certification of Training

Coolsculpting certified practices receive special training with hours of supervision from the company.  I personally believe that the physician should evaluate all new coolsculpting patients.  There is a learning curve to this procedure and nurses can perform this procedure in a doctor's office if they are properly trained and supervised by a physician.  Please be certain to consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Qualification to Operate the Coolsculpting Machine

Coolsculpting is a class 2 device which requires that any one working with the machine to be under physician supervision. Unfortunately, physician supervision varies from state to state, and applied differently in each area. I believe that it is my responsibility to be hands on in charge of each phase of the process from examination, consultation, marking, treatment, and post operative care. I will utilize trained people but they need to meet my quality standards. It is important to constantly review your standards to determine if there ways to increase the efficacy, safety, and comfort of the procedure for patients.

CoolSculpting Can Be Operated By Healthcare Providers - Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, or Physician Assistants

Coolsculpting is usually performed by a healthcare provider who is under the supervision of a physician. This includes nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants who manage the coolsculpting machinery and apply applicator heads.

Decisions regarding patient selection and formulation of a treatment plan are made by the supervising physician. This physician would perform a comprehensive evaluation on the patient before proceeding with intervention. This approach ensures appropriate patient selection and optimizes results.

It’s important to understand that coolsculpting may not necessarily be the best choice for some patients. It’s therefore important, to see a physician who is familiar with the complete range of therapeutic options.