Is Cool Sculpting a Good Method for Saddle Bag Area (Inner and Outer Thighs)?

I am considering either Liposuction, Buttock Augmentation through fat grafting or Cool Sculpting primarily for hips and saddlebag area (inner and outer/back thighs). For obvious reasons, I prefer Cool Sculpting but only if it is affective in those areas. I very much appreciate an honest professional opinion since I definitely want to have something done about my stubborn fat. thank you.

Cool sculpting is approved for the saddle bag area

In Austin we perform Dual Cool Sculpting so the thighs can be treated at the same time.  The new applicator can treat the lateral thighs.

CoolSculpting for thighs is not the ideal treatment.

Because CoolSculpting relies on the ability to " squish" the fat layer into a hand piece it is not helpful if the area is not "squishable".  Basically you have to pinch an inch or more.  Thighs may have plenty of excess fat but the fat is usually pretty firm, not pinchable.  Liposuction would be effective and also Liposonix would be another option.  Liposonix works by heating the fat layer with high intensity focused ultrasound. It is non invasive and takes an hour or two.  Fat is reabsorbed over a period of 3 months.  It looks like there may even be a bit of skin tightening that occurs with Liposonix that would not occur with the more invasive liposuction. 

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction and Brazilian Butt Lift.......

Yes, CoolSculpting is an option for the inner thigh area.  The skin in this area is usually pliable enough to get a good seal for the machine to work. It will work on just about any body part that you can attach it to.  It is basically freezing the fat cells, then your body will remove them. 
They outer thigh is a little trickier.  Most people do not have enough skin laxity to allow the machine to attach well. If you can't pinch an inch of skin, then it won't work. 

As far as having the Brazilian Butt Lift of CoolSculpting.... Obviously, these are two options are extremely different.  The Liposuction/Fat Grafting procedure known as the Brazilian Butt Lift is a VERY dramatic body sculpting and body shaping procedure.  But is a big surgery.   CoolSculpting is a very gentle and moderate sculpting of specific small areas of the body.  Obviously, the advantage of CoolSculpting is that there is No Surgery, No Anesthesia, No Downtime, and Nearly No Risks!   

But remember, once you kill the fat cells with CoolSculpting, they are gone and you will have less to transfer for your buttocks
If you want to see some pictures, check out my photogallery on my website

Yes now we have a way to do it!

To treat the saddle bag area there is a new applicator called the CoolSmoth applicator, designed for non-pinchable fat and bulges. This applicator does not use suction therefore it takes 2 hours every time you place it. The cooling plates of this applicator are exposed and are laid down directly on the areas of excessive fat. This applicator is great for patients with small areas of fat that is not enough to pinch or place in the suction applicators. You still need to retreat all areas in a month for the best results.

Coolsculpting on Inner and outer thighs

The Coolsculpting machine has been FDA cleared for treatment on the abdomen and flanks.  It is being used on many other parts of the body through out the US and other countries.  The inner and outer thighs are a bit tricky in that the area that you are concerned about needs to fit into the handpieces currently available.  The suction has to be good and you have to be aware of excess skin. It will be best to have a physician examine the area and discuss the pro's and con's of doing the procedure in that area.

Best Wishes!

Coolsculpting thighs

Coolsculpting is a great option for the inner thighs.  I even like it more that liposuction sometimes because the fat reduction is slower and allows time for the skin to retract.  The outer thighs do well too but may need more treatments as the fat is more resistant there.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting for Thighs

CoolSculpting can work well for the inner and outer thigh areas, and you can see results in as little as 1 month. CoolSculpting is very different from liposuction and not as effective as liposuction, but is very effective for a noninvasive treatment. With the CoolSmooth applicator, which is a flat applicator, the outer and posterior thighs can be treated effectively. The CoolFit applicator works well to target the fat at the inner thighs. Usually CoolSculpting treatments at the thighs can require multiple treatments. With CoolSculpting, you cannot take the fat and transfer it to other body areas. Obtain a consultation to determine if you are a candidate for treatment and how many treatments would be needed for you to see a significant result. A consultation can also help you determine which route you should take in terms of the other procedures you are considering as well.

CoolSculpting Effective for Inner Thighs

CoolSculpting has a specialized applicator designed specifically to treat the inner and outer thighs, and an experienced provider can get excellent results in these areas. When first released, CoolSculpting was designed more for areas such as the abdomen and flanks where the excess fat could be suctioned between 2 panels during the treatment. Now, however, there are FDA-cleared applicators that work on "non-pinchable" bulges of fat such as those found on the inner and outer thighs. There is also a smaller FDA-cleared applicator designed to reduce the fat that causes a double chin.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting versus liposuction

If your greatest concern is the outer/inner thighs, then Coolsculpting may be a good option for you.  However, I would state that if you are planning fat grafting to the buttock, then the liposuction portion of the fat grafting procedure can help deliver even stronger results than what Coolsculpting can do.  I would recommend visiting with a  board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the pros/cons of your question in more detail.

Coolsculpting for saddle bags

Coolsculpting has been approved by the FDA for inner and outer thighs, and the results have been impressive. Consult in person with a board certified physician who can offer both the surgical options and coolsculpting to determine the best treatment plan for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS