When Does the Excrutiating Pain Subside After CoolSculpting?

I got cool sculpting 6 days ago and the pain keeps getting worse. It is like I have a belly full of broken glass. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain (not discomfort - PAIN) When will it subside. I can't concentrate to work it is so intense.

Thank you  for your question. It is common to have onset pain after this procedure. It typically starts around 5 days after the procedure and may last several days. I recommend contacting the office where you had your procedure performed and they can discuss pain management options with you. It will eventually subside and you should be very pleased with your results. Best wishes. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

I find that people who develop extreme hypersensitivity after Coolsculpting find that their symptoms resolve within 1-2 weeks.  There are medications that can help reduce the intensity of the treatment.  I would also recommend using compression.

It is not uncommon to have delayed onset pain after a Coolsculpting procedure.  This pain is more commonly experienced with abdominal Coolsculpting.  It starts 3-5 days after the procedure and can last 10 days or so.  This pain is nerve based and is best treated with Neurontin.  Ask your physician to prescribe you some.

Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain Resolves Usually In 2-3 Days Following CoolSculpting

It’s not unusual for patients to experience some pain following abdominal coolsculpting. This pain is often described as dull and achy and typically improves in 2-3 days.

Rarely the pain is more severe and is characterized as sharp and stabbing. The origin, of this pain is unclear, but is probably related to traction on the soft tissue related to suction from the applicator device. It seems to be more common when the large applicator head is used.

The pain usually resolves spontaneously without treatment in 1 to 2 weeks, but occasionally may be present for 4-6 weeks.

Occasionally non- steroidal inflammatory agents such as Aleve and Motrin can be used to minimize pain. Rarely narcotics may be necessary as well. 

Pain After Cool Sculpting

On rare occasion, a small percentage of the cool sculpting patients experience pain after treatment that will subside with about  2 weeks after the procedure.

Ibuprofen is recommended to help the patients deal with the transient pain they experience.

That said, it would be of your interest to contact your surgeon/physician who administered your cool sculpting treatment for a solution.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Pain with Coolsculpting

Anytime pain is continue to escalate and is getting to the point of being unbearable it is best to contact the treating physician for an exam and medication to help deal with this discomfort.  Good luck with your treatment.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Post Treatment Nerve Pain

This pain typically begins 3-4 days after treatment and usually lasts for about 5-7 days total. This pain is typical of being treated on the abdomen. The pain typically does not occur in other areas (other than the inner and outer thighs).  Feverfew, Skullkap, and St. John's wort extract (1 dropperful every 6-8 hours) helps to decrease the pain.

Maiysha Clairborne, MD
Atlanta Family Physician

Pain After CoolSculpting

Some degree of pain and discomfort is completely normal after a CoolSculpting treatment. Sometimes patients can experience nerve pain, which sounds like what you may be experiencing. This can last anywhere from 5-14 days. A conservative approach to manage your discomfort would be to wear some type of compression undergarment such as Spanx and/or taking over the counter pain relievers. If the discomfort is not manageable, you should contact your practitioner. A medication such as neurontin can be prescribed to reduce the nerve pain associated with the treatment. This medication can have some side effects, such as drowsiness, so check with your practitioner to make sure this would be an appropriate medication for you to take.

John Diaz, MD

Discomfort After Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. I do recommend compression for 3 weeks to help with these symptoms.  I recommend contacting your Coolsculpting  specialist as they can prescribe medications which can reduce the intensity of the discomfort.  Best regards.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting - Post Treatment Pain

The feeling of broken glass may be experienced 2-5 days following the Coolsculpting procedure.  We refer to this as late onset pain.  The good news is that this is a rare side effect and does not happen to everyone.  Unfortunately we cannot predict who will or won't experience it.  This pain consists of sharp intermittent pains that can be very uncomfortable.  At our Clinic clients are invited to contact me to discuss pain management options.