When Does the Excrutiating Pain Subside After CoolSculpting?

I got cool sculpting 6 days ago and the pain keeps getting worse. It is like I have a belly full of broken glass. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain (not discomfort - PAIN) When will it subside. I can't concentrate to work it is so intense.

Thank you  for your question. It is common to have onset pain after this procedure. It typically starts around 5 days after the procedure and may last several days. I recommend contacting the office where you had your procedure performed and they can discuss pain management options with you. It will eventually subside and you should be very pleased with your results. Best wishes. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

I find that people who develop extreme hypersensitivity after Coolsculpting find that their symptoms resolve within 1-2 weeks.  There are medications that can help reduce the intensity of the treatment.  I would also recommend using compression.

Post Pain

It is not uncommon to experience discomfort after treatment. Some patients may experience minor to severe stinging, cramping and sensations of pins and needles in the area treated. This pain may start anywhere from day 3 to day 7 post treatment and may peak for a few days but then will dissipate and self resolve. Make sure to ask your practitioner to advise you on what may help if this occurs.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain Resolves Usually In 2-3 Days Following CoolSculpting

It’s not unusual for patients to experience some pain following abdominal coolsculpting. This pain is often described as dull and achy and typically improves in 2-3 days.

Rarely the pain is more severe and is characterized as sharp and stabbing. The origin, of this pain is unclear, but is probably related to traction on the soft tissue related to suction from the applicator device. It seems to be more common when the large applicator head is used.

The pain usually resolves spontaneously without treatment in 1 to 2 weeks, but occasionally may be present for 4-6 weeks.

Occasionally non- steroidal inflammatory agents such as Aleve and Motrin can be used to minimize pain. Rarely narcotics may be necessary as well. 

Pain After Cool Sculpting

On rare occasion, a small percentage of the cool sculpting patients experience pain after treatment that will subside with about  2 weeks after the procedure.

Ibuprofen is recommended to help the patients deal with the transient pain they experience.

That said, it would be of your interest to contact your surgeon/physician who administered your cool sculpting treatment for a solution.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting - Post Treatment Pain

The feeling of broken glass may be experienced 2-5 days following the Coolsculpting procedure.  We refer to this as late onset pain.  The good news is that this is a rare side effect and does not happen to everyone.  Unfortunately we cannot predict who will or won't experience it.  This pain consists of sharp intermittent pains that can be very uncomfortable.  At our Clinic clients are invited to contact me to discuss pain management options.

Neurontin for Coolsculpting pain

About 5-10% of our patients have a difficult time with the recovery from coolsculpting.

They often complain of a burning aching pain beginning 3-5 days after the treatment and resolving within a week.

We sometimes prescribe Neurontin as an off label use of this medication for three to five days.

This often makes patients much more comfortable.

Pain and Coolsculpting

Most patients do not have any unmanageable discomfort post coolsculpting treatment. There is a small percentage of patients (generally less than 5 percent) who have significant discomfort or pain. Some of these cases are with patients who have a medical condition that is contraindicated for   In the cases with pain, the pain can generally be managed. In almost all cases, pain fades after 4 to 6 weeks. Contact your treating physician to alert him or her of your pain, and ask to be seen.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting recovery

The discomfort does resolve.  Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases.  If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Pain After CoolSculpting

Pain, tenderness, tingling, discomfort are all common, normal side effects after CoolSculpting. Motrin or Aleve can help with swelling and some of the pain. I would recommend contacting your provider to see if they can write you a prescription for Lyrica or Lidoderm Lidocaine Patches to help with the pain. Both of these medications are frequently used to help with the symptoms you are presenting.

Grant Stevens, MD