When Does the Excrutiating Pain Subside After CoolSculpting?

I got cool sculpting 6 days ago and the pain keeps getting worse. It is like I have a belly full of broken glass. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain (not discomfort - PAIN) When will it subside. I can't concentrate to work it is so intense.

Post Treatment Nerve Pain

This pain typically begins 3-4 days after treatment and usually lasts for about 5-7 days total. This pain is typical of being treated on the abdomen. The pain typically does not occur in other areas (other than the inner and outer thighs).  Feverfew, Skullkap, and St. John's wort extract (1 dropperful every 6-8 hours) helps to decrease the pain.

Atlanta Family Physician

Pain After Cool Sculpting

On rare occasion, a small percentage of the cool sculpting patients experience pain after treatment that will subside with about  2 weeks after the procedure.

Ibuprofen is recommended to help the patients deal with the transient pain they experience.

That said, it would be of your interest to contact your surgeon/physician who administered your cool sculpting treatment for a solution.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Post coolsculpting pain

Hi there,

You have whats referred to as delayed onset pain. This pain typically begins 3-4 days after treatment and usually lasts for about 5-7 days total. This pain usually only occurs after abdominal area treatment. Heating pad and lidoderm patches are great for this type of pain, rest assured it will resolve very soon. Fortunately, the newer applicators have a much lower incidence of this delayed onset pain.

Good luck!

Shamim Shakibai, MD
Los Angeles Physician

When Does the Excruciating Pain Subside After CoolSculpting?

The possibility of delayed onset pain that can occur a few days after a CoolSculpting treatment of the abdominal area is caused by the nerve endings defrosting.  The pain can last between 1 to 10 days.  Most patients find comfort by applying ice on the area or taking a oral nerve medication called Neurontin prescribed by your physician. 

Daniel Taheri, MD

Coolsculpting Pain & Healing

I am sorry to hear of your pain, but the good news is that it's almost coming to a close. Post treatment pain typically resolves within one week post treatment-one week after it onsets. Try applying ice packs and please refer back to your treating physician/clinic so they may determine whether a prescription remedy would help you here. 

Edward Stokes, MD
West Hollywood Physician

Pain after CoolSculpting

In a very small percentage of patients, they may experience some nerve pain after a few days. This is very different from the small discomfort they feel when having the treatment performed. In these cases, we prescribe Neurontin which is very helpful in alleviating this pain in a few days. In providing over 2000 treatments we find this happens on occasion and is not the typical side effect. This can happen more when the larger hand piece is used vs the regular (smaller) hand pieces.

Emerico Csepanyi, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Pain with Coolsculpting

Anytime pain is continue to escalate and is getting to the point of being unbearable it is best to contact the treating physician for an exam and medication to help deal with this discomfort.  Good luck with your treatment.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Pain After CoolSculpting

Some degree of pain and discomfort is completely normal after a CoolSculpting treatment. Sometimes patients can experience nerve pain, which sounds like what you may be experiencing. This can last anywhere from 5-14 days. A conservative approach to manage your discomfort would be to wear some type of compression undergarment such as Spanx and/or taking over the counter pain relievers. If the discomfort is not manageable, you should contact your practitioner. A medication such as neurontin can be prescribed to reduce the nerve pain associated with the treatment. This medication can have some side effects, such as drowsiness, so check with your practitioner to make sure this would be an appropriate medication for you to take.

John Diaz, MD

Discomfort After Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. I do recommend compression for 3 weeks to help with these symptoms.  I recommend contacting your Coolsculpting  specialist as they can prescribe medications which can reduce the intensity of the discomfort.  Best regards.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting - Post Treatment Pain

The feeling of broken glass may be experienced 2-5 days following the Coolsculpting procedure.  We refer to this as late onset pain.  The good news is that this is a rare side effect and does not happen to everyone.  Unfortunately we cannot predict who will or won't experience it.  This pain consists of sharp intermittent pains that can be very uncomfortable.  At our Clinic clients are invited to contact me to discuss pain management options.

Shehla Ebrahim, MD
Vancouver Physician