Does PRP treatments for preventing hair loss really work?

PRP for androgenic alopecia

Recent studies in Dermatologic Surgery from Italy verify success of PRP for hair loss in 61 out of 62 patients. Average improvement is 40 to 70 %.  It is best for early hair loss. Various treatment programs can increase success.

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP for androgenic alopecia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP For Hair Loss

PRP or platelet rich plasma treatments are a procedure that involves using components of a patient’s own blood to promote stimulation of hair growth. So, it is actually more for treating hair loss rather than preventing it. Although medical providers have been using PRP in other fashions, such as injections into joints for orthopedic ailments, it is relatively new in treating hair loss. However, many anecdotal and case studies have shown very promising results. Of course, as with any procedure, results vary and every patient is different.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP For Hair Loss

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss.

Platelet rich plasma is a treatment in which your blood is drawn in the office and centrifuged to separate the blood cells from the plasma and the platelets. Platelets are packed with growth factors- your own growth factors.  PRP has been used in orthopedic surgery to aid the healing of bones and soft tissues for many years. There are many uses for the treatment and more recently, PRP has been found helpful in stimulating hair re-growth in the early stages of androgenetic hair loss.  Recent studies show that even hair transplant patients get a better and quicker result with a combination of PRP with hair transplants. Many patients see dramatic results but everyone is different and results do vary. It is a treatment that needs to be repeated every 1-3 months to maintain the results. I always recommend adding oral and topical medicines that have long been the mainstay of treatment. Recently, I have had many patients who prefer to use this treatment instead of the oral and topical medicines, but I encourage a comprehensive approach because once the hair is gone, there really is nothing other than a transplant to restore the hair.

PRP for Hair Loss.

There is no "cure" for genetic balding. PRP is not a cure. If PRP works you will have to continue with the treatment just like

There is no "cure" for genetic balding. PRP is not a cure. If PRP works you will have to continue with the treatment just like Propecia or Rogaine.  Any of these treatments do not stop genetic hair loss. 

There is nothing wrong with doctors promoting off label treatments such as PRP, progesterone, low level laser light therapy as they have a right to practice medicine. Likewise the consumers (patients) have a right to choose their doctors and treatment options based on their own research and free will. However, it is my opinion that the consumer take a “buyer beware” approach. For every success story behind these treatments, there are many disappointed consumers who have spent thousands of dollars with no benefit.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Like all new treatments, there is a great deal of variety in response, and factors will be the level of hair loss, the type of remaining, hair, etc. See a Board Certified Dermatologist for an hair assessment and they can direct you. For hair loss, we have seen great success with Neograft. They are a very credible company and have great resources. I hope this helps!

PRP for hair loss

PRP therapy has been used in other specialities for years-- including dermatology, orthopedics, dentistry, cardiac and plastic surgery--to enhance tissue healing. More recently, PRP has been postulated as a new therapy for androgenetic alopecia and to aid in wound healing after hair transplant. For hair loss, PRP is injected in the tissue where hair growth is desired and may require a series of treatments, depending on patient response.  Although some studies have shown hair growth after PRP therapy, other studies have not shown a significant improvement in hair loss. Currently, there are no large studies regarding the optimal protocol for treating hair loss with PRP. Use of PRP to promote hair growth is currently not an FDA-approved indication and is prescribed off-label.  It is important to understand that PRP for hair loss should be considered a complementary treatment, rather than a stand-alone replacement. Studies have shown that patients tend to obtain better and longer-lasting results when using medical therapy (Minoxidil and Finasteride), in addition to PRP injection.  I recommend following up with a hair specialist to further discuss hair loss and potential treatment options. 

PRP for hair loss

Depends

Hair loss is always a tricky subject. Before doing any procedure- the diagnosis must be made. Without the right diagnosis the treatment plan cannot be picked

PRP helps some people and doesn't help others

It is hard to tell who will respond and who will not respond

The studies on PRP for hair loss do not have thousands and thousands of people the way studies for propecia do

I think of it as part of the arsenal of procedures and drugs to combat hair loss

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP for hair loss

PRP for hair loss definitely has benefits, but is different than hair transplantation. PRP is great for increasing the density of hair in a region where there already is hair, but cannot bring hair to an area that is completely bald. I have found PRP to be particularly useful for women with thinning hair, as well as for men with early hair loss. I have also found low level light to be a useful adjunct to this.

Hope this helps! Sam Jejurikar, MD

PRP for hair loss

Hope this helps! Sam Jejurikar, MD

PRP for Hair Loss

Thank you for your question. PRP seems to help by keeping hair follicles in a growth phase (versus the resting phase or shedding phase). By lengthening the growth phase, the hair strand is thicker and longer. However PRP cannot regenerate dead follicles. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 

PRP for Hair Loss

PRP For Hair Loss

For early stages of hair loss, PRP can help in the stimulation and growth of the damaged follicles.  It is recommended your consult with a Hair Restoration Specialist to determine the benefits of PRP for you.

PRP For Hair Loss