Does PRP treatments for preventing hair loss really work?

PRP for androgenic alopecia

Recent studies in Dermatologic Surgery from Italy verify success of PRP for hair loss in 61 out of 62 patients. Average improvement is 40 to 70 %.  It is best for early hair loss. Various treatment programs can increase success.

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP For Hair Loss

PRP or platelet rich plasma treatments are a procedure that involves using components of a patient’s own blood to promote stimulation of hair growth. So, it is actually more for treating hair loss rather than preventing it. Although medical providers have been using PRP in other fashions, such as injections into joints for orthopedic ailments, it is relatively new in treating hair loss. However, many anecdotal and case studies have shown very promising results. Of course, as with any procedure, results vary and every patient is different.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss.

Platelet rich plasma is a treatment in which your blood is drawn in the office and centrifuged to separate the blood cells from the plasma and the platelets. Platelets are packed with growth factors- your own growth factors.  PRP has been used in orthopedic surgery to aid the healing of bones and soft tissues for many years. There are many uses for the treatment and more recently, PRP has been found helpful in stimulating hair re-growth in the early stages of androgenetic hair loss.  Recent studies show that even hair transplant patients get a better and quicker result with a combination of PRP with hair transplants. Many patients see dramatic results but everyone is different and results do vary. It is a treatment that needs to be repeated every 1-3 months to maintain the results. I always recommend adding oral and topical medicines that have long been the mainstay of treatment. Recently, I have had many patients who prefer to use this treatment instead of the oral and topical medicines, but I encourage a comprehensive approach because once the hair is gone, there really is nothing other than a transplant to restore the hair.

Quenby Erickson, DO, FAAD, FACMS
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Like all new treatments, there is a great deal of variety in response, and factors will be the level of hair loss, the type of remaining, hair, etc. See a Board Certified Dermatologist for an hair assessment and they can direct you. For hair loss, we have seen great success with Neograft. They are a very credible company and have great resources. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss

Thank you for your question. PRP seems to help by keeping hair follicles in a growth phase (versus the resting phase or shedding phase). By lengthening the growth phase, the hair strand is thicker and longer. However PRP cannot regenerate dead follicles. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

PRP For Hair Loss

For early stages of hair loss, PRP can help in the stimulation and growth of the damaged follicles.  It is recommended your consult with a Hair Restoration Specialist to determine the benefits of PRP for you.

Keith Durante, MD, FACS
New York General Surgeon

PRP works

However, the results are less predictable than a hair transplant.  PRP will not bring dead follicles back to life.  Thus, it is most effective for early stage hair loss where it can rejuvenate injured follicles into ones that can produce hair.  I recommend 3 sessions spaced 2 months apart.

Tim Neavin, MD

There is no "cure" for genetic balding. PRP is not a cure. If PRP works you will have to continue with the treatment just like

There is no "cure" for genetic balding. PRP is not a cure. If PRP works you will have to continue with the treatment just like Propecia or Rogaine.  Any of these treatments do not stop genetic hair loss. 

There is nothing wrong with doctors promoting off label treatments such as PRP, progesterone, low level laser light therapy as they have a right to practice medicine. Likewise the consumers (patients) have a right to choose their doctors and treatment options based on their own research and free will. However, it is my opinion that the consumer take a “buyer beware” approach. For every success story behind these treatments, there are many disappointed consumers who have spent thousands of dollars with no benefit.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP and hair loss

PRP experts concur that when done properly PRP can benefit well over 50% of those with androgenetic alopecia

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist