How long do you have to wear compression bra after implant removal?

I'm worried about going back to work completely flat as a pancake because in have to wear a really tight ace bandage like bra or wrap. Can you help me understand the after care. When I would be able to wear a normal wireless padded bra post surgery? Thanks.

No bras for one month

After breast implant revision or removal surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. We do not use bras for one full month after surgery.  At that point we take out their stitches and drains. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. This is when it is safe to sleep on your side or belly. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity.

The reason for the compression bra/ace wrap post the explant surgery is to compress the loose skin and help take the tension off the skin. The less tension there is on the skin the more the skin seems to shrink. Realistically after 2 weeks of wearing a compression type bra or wrap is efficient, and switching to a bra if your choice after 2 weeks should be fine, unless your PS office recommends otherwise.  

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Compression after Explantation

Thank you for your question.  Compression after Explantation is recommended to reduce the risk of fluid accumulation and to encourage tissue adherence.  Postop protocols vary by surgeon. Discuss with your surgeon.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

How long do you have to wear compression bra after implant removal

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has their own post-operative protocol. Please call your plastic surgeon’s office for the details. Best of luck