I hate my side profile. I've always have had low self esteem issues cause of this. (photo)

I've always have had low self esteem issues cause of this. I can't seem to just get over it. Can't even see my jawline. I have that bump on my nose and my chin is to small for my lips. Forehead is kind of big to. Just can't really see it in this pic. It's weird cause looking at me from the front isn't as bad.

How can I improve my side profile

Jcrewsto, thank you for your question. You have a very common concern. Many people have recessed chins as well as dorsal humps on the nose. This creates an imbalance that can be easily improved. I recommend that you consider a chin implant as well as a rhinoplasty procedure in order to smooth out the bridge of your nose. This would create a much more balanced appearance.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

A typical facial inbalence situation

Most facial inbalence issues arise from a weak chin, which inversely provides a perceived visual enlargement of the nose. If the face is divided horizontally into thirds, the upper third (the forehead) usually is not a problem. The middle third (the nose) and the lower third (the chin) are the common areas treated. Options include an anatomic shaped chin implant, or a sliding genioplasty (a bone cut surgery that slides the lower jaw forward). This is followed by a nasal reduction of a least the bony bridge (dorsum) if not also the nasal tip.A computer imaging session pre-operatively, will help not only the patient, but also the surgeon understand what needs to be done to create optimal natural aesthetic results.

Maurice P. Sherman, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I hate my side profile. I've always have had low self esteem issues cause of this.

The good news is, you can have a much better profile very quickly!  A chin implant will project the chin forward.  This will balance the lower half of your face.  Many times, a very small chin actually makes the nose appear larger!  A rhinoplasty will reduce and refine your nose.  This can be performed through a closed rhinoplasty so there are no incisions on the outside of your face!  Adding a bit of Radiesse to the jawline will give you an angular look to the jaw.  

Profile

You would benefit from a rhinoplasty and advancement genioplasty to correct your profile and balance the face.  A sliding genioplasty would give you more augmentation than a chin implant.  Good luck.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinopasty and chin implant for facial balance.

Rhinopasty and chin implant for facial balance will give you a more attractive face. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. 

Candidate for a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

From your photograph  you may be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty and a chin augmentation.  An evaluation by a plastic surgeon with the use of computer imaging is a valuable educational tool  

Unhappy with Facial Profile

Your profile shape appears convex in nature. I agree with your assessment. The dorsal hump and small chin are the most striking features contributing to this appearance. A rhinoplatsy can address the shape of your nose, and a chin implant may be a reasonable option to improve your jaw line. With a more pronounced chin, I suspect your lips will look appropriately proportionate.

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Chin and nose

Thank you for the photo and your concerns and the GOOD news is that you can be clearly helped with surgery so go on consults with some specialists in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I hate my side profile. I've always had low self esteem issues cause of this.

A rhinoplasty and a chin implant can improve your overall facial balance.  Find an expert in your area in both surgeries who has great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Improving the profile.

The profile of the face can be influenced adversely by the imperfections in the forehead, cheeks, nose, lips, chin and the neck. The forehead flaws could be receding or protruding forehead. The nose could look undesirable as a result of prominent hump or deficiency in the projection or length of the nose. The cheek abnormality is often a deficiency in the projection of malar bones. The lips could be short, long, too thin or too thick. The chin could be prominent or under-projected, short or long. The neck may look suboptimal as a result of too much fullness under the neck.
While not everyone needs to have a perfect profile, your profile could be improved by augmenting your forehead, a rhinoplasty, augmenting your cheeks, moving your chin forward and down with sliding genioplasty and removing some fat from under your chin. These all could be done at the same time or in stages, depending on your desires. Again, there are not many individuals who have a perfect profile or totally symmetric face.  You may wan to consult a craniofacial plastic surgeon in your area who is focused on aesthetic surgery of the face to help you with some or all of these zones, whatever you choose. Surgery on the nose, chin and the neck will have the biggest impact on your profile. Of, course, your surgeon will take your front view in consideration when making the recommendations.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon