Wanting a tummy tuck but have terrible IBS and bloating.

I have had four children and I have a bit of loose skin. I previously had a nissan Fundoplication because I was aspirating and had terrible shortness of breath. After the nissan I developed a worsening of my IBS. It is so bad that I am on antidepressants to release serotonin in my gut. Every night my stomach bloats but I am no longer in any pain from this. My Nissan was 18 months ago. I am worried that with a tummy tuck that my stomach will not have room to bloat and I will be in pain or worse.

Find the right surgeon to help you decide

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Wanting a tummy tuck but have terrible IBS and bloating

Thank you for your question.  I m sorry to hear about your IBS.  You will need clearance from your GI physician before surgery.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best Wishes

Insightful

You have a real concern and I would encourage your talking to your gastroenterologist before having anything to increase your intraabdominal pressure. While I don't think your IBS will be worse (I've operated on several patients with IBS who had no problems postop), I would be concerned about limiting your intraabdominal capacity, potentially raising your diaphragms and making your breathing more difficult. Of course, another option would be remove the loose skin but not plicate your abdominal wall.  This would remove the skin you don't like but not risk worsening your breathing.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of the severity of your IBS symptoms.  Because of the possibility of symptoms developing during your recovery as a result of anesthesia and pain medications I would speak with your GI doctor to discuss your candidacy for surgery and methods to try and medically optimize your symptoms prior to discussing your surgical options with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.