Belly button necrosis? (Photo)

I am 10 days post full tt with lipo. I went to my first follow up and my belly button was completely covered in a black scab. I didnt get to see the surgeon but seen the nurse and she said its fine. She told me to gently clean and put anibiotic ointment. My follow up is not for another two weeks but now it just looks bad to me. Could it be necrosis?

Belly button necrosis after abdominoplasty

To definitively answer your question would require a physical examination of the tissue. You may want to see your surgeon prior to the next visit scheduled in two weeks. If there is any potential tissue loss, good local care could limit this. Hope you have a good recovery and enjoy your outcome. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical Wound Concerns

Unfortunately in-person assessment is required. I recommend that you continue with the wound care you were advised and follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Umbilical necrosis

is possible but unable to say with certainty if you have this.  At this point, there isn't anything you can do about it so its best to focus on healing and cleaning the wound as best you can.  Work at getting those scabs along the incision cleaned up and you could use a 50:50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water and keep ointment on it.  You should be able to get it wet but you should be following the instructions of your surgeon.  If its good, it will heal without problems.  If there is necrosis, you could have delayed healing and even contracture develop around the opening. Keep your surgeon updated of any changes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Belly button necrosis?

Appearance and positioning of the umbilicus can be affected after abdominoplasty.

A variety of factors can affect this including iatrogenic or physiologic causes. Essentially there the cause is poor blood flow to the reconstructed umbilicus.

From the pictures and description you provided, it's too early to tell.

General wound care and time are your best options. Please follow your surgeon's instructions to maximize your result.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Belly button necrosis?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Without an in-person exam, it is impossible to tell you what is going on. It appears that there are some concerns with the blood supply to your umbilicus. This can sometimes result in complete or partial loss of the umbilicus, but the real fact is there is nothing you can do about it at this point other than treat the area with local wound care and give it time to declare whether or not it is going to make it. Follow closely with your surgeon and follow his or her instructions.

Belly button

Thank you for the question and photo and though an examination is need it looks nor like crusted blood along the edges but see your surgeon to be sure

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Belly button necrosis?

Thank you for your question. It looks like limited to edges and eventually going to heal. Please follow up with your PS and follow instructions.