Veins got darker after laser treatment

I received a laser treatment to get rid of some of my spider veins. It's been three weeks and I've noticed that they just got darker! Does this mean it isn't working or it is?

Vein Treatment

Modern vein treatments involving closing affected veins and allowing them to absorb into the body through natural processes. It sounds like your treatment is working, though some veins require multiple treatments to remove. You should consult with your doctor about your concerns, but remember to be patient; the full results of your treatment will take longer to become apparent.

Fenton Dermatologist

Darkened veins

Whether from laser or sclerotherapy, when a vein is closed a small amount of blood remains trapped in the vein, causing it to appear darker.  I warn all of my patients that the vein may appear darker and can even feel hard and lumpy after treatment but this should fade away in a 6-8 weeks.  If the vein does not appear to be lightening over time then you should have the area looked at again.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Laser treatment of spider veins

Without knowing more information, like the type of laser used and the size, color and location of the veins treated, it is hard to say for sure, but I have a couple of comments:It often takes more than one treatment to get rid of spider veins (depending on the size and color).  I tell my patients to expect to need 2-3 treatments 4-6 weeks apart.The laser acts by targeting the 'color' in the veins and heats that area selectively.  It takes 4-6 weeks to see a final result from a single treatment as the area recovers from that very localized 'burn.'  The darkening you see may mean that the tiny veins have closed with a little blood trapped inside and it should fade over the next few weeks as the veins close completely.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon