I have horrible thick veins in my hands. Is there any treatment that can eliminate them?

Treating aging hands

I have found that injections with Radiese are very effective in adding volume to the hands and help to camouflage the veins that are present. Typically the injections can last several years and that is the best treatment in my opinion. However, fat injections are another possibility.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hand veins

I always caution people about eliminating there hand veins.  It can be done, and I have done it for certain patients.  But these are usually normal veins that have become more prominent from fat loss in the hands.  The reason I caution is that hand veins are a common source of IV access, and removing them can make getting an IV more challenging if you are a "difficult" stick.The better option is some type of filler.  Radiesse is FDA approved for this, and works very well.  It is temporary, however, and will need repeat treatments.  A longer lasting option is to do fat transfer.Good luck.

Scott Powell, MD
Denton General Surgeon

Hand veins

Veins in the hands can become visible with volume loss that occurs with aging.  These are normal veins that simply show more as the surrounding soft tissue decreases.  This can be treated with injection of filler (Radiesse) or fat transfer to give the hands a more youthful appearance.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Hand veins

Depending on the size of the veins and the experience of the provider, foam sclerotherapy of hand veins can give a very good result.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Hand vein treatment.

A large part of my practice is the treatment of hand veins.  I use a combination of sclerotherapy for the smaller veins and endovenous laser for the larger veins.  The results are very good and cosmetically excellent. The procedure is done in the office under local anesthesia and is associated with little down time.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Yes there are several options for treatment of hand veins...

Prominent veins on the backs of the hands are a cosmetic concern, particularly for women as they get older.  There's an expression that you may have heard: "You can tell a woman's age by the appearance of her hands".  Well, that doesn't have to be the case - these veins can be either eliminated or masked in several different ways. If it's just the veins you're trying to get rid of (and not trying to also mask the underlying tendons and build volume on the backs of the hands), options include sclerotherapy (injection of the veins), microphlebectomies (taking out the veins through tiny incisions) and endovenous laser ablation (EVLT).  On the other hand (no pun intended!), if you'd like to build volume on the backs of the hands to mask the veins and tendons, you should consider dermal fillers just as Radiesse, Juvederm Ultra Plus or Voluma.  Keep in mind that if you treat the veins directly, they will no longer be available for IV access should you get sick one day...so hopefully you have good veins in the forearms or antecubital regions that they can access.  The veins will still be available should you choose fillers.  The downside to fillers is that they are not permanent and depending on the product you choose will last 1-2 years.  Hope that helps!

Options for hand veins

Yes there are solutions for this.  Options include fillers (radiesse) or closing the vein.   These are more likely related to fat loss in your hands.  I have had the best results with the filler options.

Jordan Knepper, MD
Ann Arbor Vascular Surgeon