Is this vein above my ankle that enlarges when standing ankle problematic? (photos)

When standing for longer periods of time, the vein above my ankle becomes enlarged in my right leg only. I recently had a venous study ultrasound and was told I have reflux in my Great saphenous vein (1.9 s), but that it is not significant. I am 33 and beyond paranoid about this. I've been checked for DVTs several times, and always negative. I just want to know this is not serious. I am very anxious by nature...

Bulging vein in foot

I would only be concerned about the vein if it was causing you discomfort or you were suffering with pain, swelling, fatigue or heaviness in that leg, which are all symptoms of venous disease.  If not I would simply advise you to follow up annually to see if the reflux is worsening or the vein is becoming more enlarged.  If at anytime you become symptomatic, then I would consider treatment.

Atlanta Physician

Normal saphenous vein

The posted picture is a normal distal great saphenous vein and is common in many people.  As you stand the veins fill with blood and the vein may appear distended.  This is normal.  I agree that your reflux appears to be insignificant.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon