Fell face 1st on tile floor. Nose hurts a lot - no blood/swelling. Could it be broken?

If it is possible to break without bleeding or swelling, would a trip to the Drs do anything, or will they just tell me to take Tylenol for the pain? Fell because I fainted which was due to taking prednisone (for a foot injury) twenty minutes before. 12mg of that mixed with a severe head cold equals major dizzy fainting spells. I was only out for perhaps a minute, but when I woke up I was face first on the floor and had wet myself, so I was OUT! And didn't brace the impact at all.

Your nose might be broken!

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! When in doubt, you should not hesitate to visit a board certified plastic surgeon if you think that you broke your nose after a fall. For a nasal fracture, you have a chance at fixing this with a small, quick procedure if done within the first 7-10 days after the injury.

Possible broken nose after falling face first

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced nasal fracture, a non-displaced nasal fracture, a deviated septum, and the dislocation of the upper lateral cartilages off of the nasal bones. It's important to seek out a consultation with an ENT/facial plastic surgeon to determine the extent of the injury and document it with x-rays. For more information and many examples of broken nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Broken nose

So sorry to hear about your fall. I would recommend going to your doctor or an ER.  It is possible to break your nose without bleeding, it is also possible to break the cartilage in your nose, another facial bone or get a concussion.  A full evaluation by a physician is needed.

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial trauma

You should absolutely be evaluated, either by your primary doctor, a walk-in clinic, or depending on the amount of pain, the urgent care at your emergency room.  The reason being that depending on the evaluation and extent of injuries, your treatment course may vary.  When in doubt, it is never a bad idea to be seen by a doc.  Best of luck! I hope you are feeling better. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible broken nose

I suggest you contact your primary care doctor or go to your nearest emergency room to be evaluated. It is very possible that your nose or other facial bones may be broken. The treatment rendered would depend on the extend of the injury. It could vary from medication to control pain and swelling to surgery.

Good Luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon